Thread: MilRad Scope with 1/4 Turrets on a 22, Question ?

wlleven

MilRad Scope with 1/4 Turrets on a 22, Question ?

Would you sight it in at 50 yds or 100yds, and you you use a ballistic program to use the Mil Dots up to 300 yds, this scope has 9 mil dots from center dot ?

That way I'm not messing with anything, and my ballistic card has all the info. Just a thought.

I have a cheap scope but it does track very well. I love the 4-16 x 44 power range and it is a 30mm tube, so it is bright as heck.

wll

Basic Member
    deleted

wlleven
    BYW, just to clarify, it is 22lr

wll

Basic Member
    Doesn't the 22LR start to drop FAST past 100 yards?

Seems like unless you have a very accurate rangefinder, or a very tall target, your bullets are going to very easily be too high or too low due to the steep trajectory out there...

Basic Member
    I have a couple 22LRs set up as long range "trainers." Both of them wear SWFA SS 10x scopes with mil-dot reticles and MOA turrets. I keep both zeroed at 50yds. However, I use the turrets to dial-up at long range. In my opinion, once you go past 150yds or so, using mil hold-overs just isn't accurate enough to hit small targets (well, small considering the caliber and distance).

A rangefinder and very detailed range card for at least every 25yds (every 10yds is better) is needed if you really want to be accurate enough to impress people with a 22LR way out there.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsniper View Post
    I have a couple 22LRs set up as long range "trainers." Both of them wear SWFA SS 10x scopes with mil-dot reticles and MOA turrets. I keep both zeroed at 50yds. However, I use the turrets to dial-up at long range. In my opinion, once you go past 150yds or so, using mil hold-overs just isn't accurate enough to hit small targets (well, small considering the caliber and distance).

A rangefinder and very detailed range card for at least every 25yds (every 10yds is better) is needed if you really want to be accurate enough to impress people with a 22LR way out there.
    Thank you for your input. The fact that I have a full 10 milrad graduation on all sides of my center point helps me a lot. If I sight in (depending on the ammo) at 100 yds, I'm ~1.5 high at 50. I can set my ballistics program for 25 or 10 yd increments, I'm fine with that and I do have a nice rangefinder.

Shooting 300 yards is just a thing to see if I can do it ..... I would like to be able to hit a soft ball size target at 200 though, I may be able to do better than that, we will see.

I shot a lot of 22 when I was a kid, no real target stuff but 100 yds was a long way out there, I now like to stretch it out a bit further.

I'm working on my little Savage bolt as we speak.

wll