Thread: extraction ejection issue

jaybic

Smile extraction ejection issue

Well, I guess I need some help/ideas.

I have a Savage 16WW in 22-250 and I here is the story and maybe someone can give me some ideas how to fix it permanently short of junking it and starting with something else.

I bought it brand new and it shoots stellar but right away it had a very weak extraction/ejection system. It barely put the empties over the side of the action and soon it essentially just released them and they just laid on the feed ramp and then it double fed the previously fired shell and the new one being bolted in and jammed. This cost me a bunch of doubles on coyote stands and as a tournament hunter, that cant happen.

I called SSS and ordered one of their "enhanced extractor/ejector kits which seemed a bit better(but never super strong) and seemed to fix the issue until shortly thereafter a feeding issue developed. It would extract and eject fine but the new incoming round would pop up and then hang up on top of the new ejector pin(or whatever ya call it) as it had a sharp edge that my gunsmith found. this has also turned it into a very accurate single shot. even bolting it very slowly, it still hung up.

Once my smith figured that out, he installed a new factory extractor/ejector and now the feeding issue is gone but my weak extraction/ejection is back and it cost me 2 different doubles out in ND this weekend at the ND Coyote Classic.

The enhanced extraction/ejection kit fixes that issue but creates another so either way I end up with a single shot and unless I can find a cure, its gonna end up a tomato stake. Does anyone know of another solution/extractor ejector set up...anything that might help.

I am gonna try to call SSS but they can be mighty hard to get a hold of from my experience which is why I tried here first.

funny thing, I had a Abolt that no matter how fast the bolt was worked, would spit empties 5 feet and never jammed once but it would shoot dime sized groups at 200 yards one day and paper plate sized the next. I sold it and bought my first savage and now here I am with a super accurate gun that absolutely will NOT reliably feed, extract or eject.

any ideas at all are most welcome and thanks for your time.

Jamie B.

P.s. I understand that Fred from SSS posts here and if you were to read this and you could tell me the best way/time to contact you by phone to seek your help, I would appreciate it a great deal.

Have a great day everyone

Basic Member
    I seem to recall seeing a picture where someone very carefully chamfered the offending corner of the ejector plunger with a Dremel or some such ... would that work?

Basic Member
    The very edge of the ejector should be .005" below flush of the bolt head, to avoid the problem you are having. Sometimes factory tolerance on bolt heads will vary. The fix is to file some off the end of the ejector until the cases no longer hang up.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

jaybic
    awesome, thanks fellas for the advice and potential solution. To my understanding as per my local gunsmith, he tried to take some off the enhanced ejector and took too much and ruined it which is why he put (some/all???) stock parts back in it and why my original issue returned so I think I need to order and entirely new "enhanced extractor/ejector kit from SSS and then if it still hangs up, just ever so slightly remove material off the face of the ejector plunger until the shells stop hanging up and fall into place correctly if I understand this correctly.

what is the difference between the stock extractor/ejector and the enhanced version anyway? Is it just a heavier ejector spring or is the plunger itself longer or different somehow? I was under the impression that my smith just put in a new stock plunger and still used my enhanced spring(he may or may not have, I don't know for sure) in which case I shouldn't have an issue if its just a heavier spring but maybe he tossed all my "enhanced" parts and used all stock parts and that is why my original issue popped up again.

I am going to try and reach SSS tomorrow by phone and order and entirely new kit to start of with I guess.

In and case, thanks tons for the advice fellas and have a great day,

Jamie

I just finished doing two enhanced ejector/extractor kits, the old ones were round where they come in contact with the case, and the new ones were flat.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

jaybic, I sent you a Private Message.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

jaybic
    Well, I just sent Sharpshooter an email to purchase a kit so hopefully I will hear back soon and get my issue fixed...

thanks again for the advice fellas and have a great day!