Thread: is the Axis a short or long action

ottawacats

is the Axis a short or long action

I would like to order the Boyd stock and it asks short or long action. So I just want to confirm that a new Axis .243 (purchase in 2012) is a long action and not a short action. Looking at the featherweight thumbhole in forest camo or pepper haven't decided yet on that part.

Thanks,matt

Basic Member
    All Axis rifles are long action. However, for a 243 you need the stock that's inletted for the short action magazine.

82boy
    Neither, the axis is it own length, it is in-between a long and a short action considering the 10/110 rifles. The axis uses a different trigger guard to control the length of cartridge. Why Boyds would have such a thing on there web site is beyond me

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Neither, the axis is it own length, it is in-between a long and a short action considering the 10/110 rifles. The axis uses a different trigger guard to control the length of cartridge. Why Boyds would have such a thing on there web site is beyond me
    Bad info. There are different magazine inlets for short action cartridges and long action cartridges. The action inlet is the same, but the magazine will differ.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Bad info. There are different magazine inlets for short action cartridges and long action cartridges. The action inlet is the same, but the magazine will differ.
    No the action length is exactly the same between any axis/edge action. The magazine cut out is the same the difference is controlled by the trigger guard, which in turn allows different magazine lengths to be utilized. With that said, you can take a Axis/Edge chambered in 30/06, and convert It to a 223, by changing the trigger guard, Bolt head, and magazine.

Basic Member
    Not with the laminate stocks. The op is ordering a boyds stock they utilize a 10/110 trigger guard and therefore must be inletted for the proper magazine. Same with the SSS laminate stocks for the Axis.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    With that said, you can take a Axis/Edge chambered in 30/06, and convert It to a 223, by changing the trigger guard, Bolt head, and magazine.
    you might want to change the barrel too..........
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Matt, since you're Axis is a 243Win, you need the Boyd's stock labeled "short action".

I think in this case if you think of action as complete with magazine, then it's what LoneWolf said. 243 means "short action".
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

ottawacats
    Thank you for the info and placing order for a short action Boyd stock in forest camo.

matt

tt123
    I presume that the .308 is also a short action?

Basic Member
    Correct, same cartridge as 243.

Basic Member
    When ordering a Boyd's stock just order it for the ("chambering" long or short) you have and don't pay attention to what length the "action" is, that is the same for all.
    Last edited by RP12; 01-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Basic Member
    I just left the Boyd's site. To place an order for the Axis stocks, you are only asked "Short action DBM", or "Long action DBM". We are not asked the chambering in the order. If you have a long action chambering, you want to click on "Long Action DBM". If you have a short action chambering, you want to click on "Short Action DBM". ;-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I just left the Boyd's site. To place an order for the Axis stocks, you are only asked "Short action DBM", or "Long action DBM". We are not asked the chambering in the order. If you have a long action chambering, you want to click on "Long Action DBM". If you have a short action chambering, you want to click on "Short Action DBM". ;-)
    You are correct Sir. I fixed my reply to better explain what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    You are correct Sir. I fixed my reply to better explain what I meant.
    So an Axis in 7mm-08 would need a "Short Action DBM" Boyd's Laminate....yes?

Basic Member
    Yep. 7-08 is derivednfrom the 308 case.

Basic Member
    If I have an Axis in 30-06 with Boyds stock and want to change it to 223 I can't use the same stock ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    If I have an Axis in 30-06 with Boyds stock and want to change it to 223 I can't use the same stock ?
    You could make it a single shot. Problem you will have is the 223 mag wont work in the stock.