Thread: Any recent feedback on the Accustock?

TechHunter

Any recent feedback on the Accustock?

Am considering a new Accustocked model 16 for next hunting season. Since the product has been out a few months already, I would think that some members may have new feedback on its advantages or disadvantages. Any one?

Thanks,

George.

Re: Any recent feedback on the Accustock?

I believe hogwackr has a couple. Maybe he'll chime in about how they feel.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I'm having issues with my 110 fcp-k in .25-06. It would seem to have a bedding problem. I can get 2-3 shots out of 5 in a nice grouping and the other 2-3 will be out and often in another group. Today, I just glass bedded it and when it cures will try again. I can't convince myself that the screw which pushes back the recoil lug is a good idea. The recoil lug as it comes from the factory contacts an aluminum rib in the stock that is only about 1/2" wide. The system would seem somewhat lacking and perhaps engineered wrong. Be it for me to second guess the manufacturer. I'm not so sure that the bottom of the recoil lug doesn't contact the aluminum spine in the stock. This contradicts my understanding of a good bedding system. So, my plan is to remove some of the material under the recoil lug, and try again to get this thing to shoot. It "patterns" around 1" with a number of loads that I've tried. Not all that bad, but nowhere near what I hoped to get out of this gun either. Do I like the Accustock? Would I want another? I don't think so......Steve.

steveinwv

I don't use the accuwedge. The accustock on my FCP-K .223 is excellent (after I added a cheek piece). Gun groups under 1/2" easily.

hogwackr

I have no problem with mine.....saves the hassle of bedding...My .223 shoots quite well right out of the box!

steveinwv

The way the rails are 'preloaded' on an accustock, I don't see how bedding would work, nonetheless help.

range rat

Stevewhr
    I have a BAT/S and the accuwedge is very sensitive to pressure and effects groups BIG time!!! Get it right and it's a tack driver. Different wedge pressures will open up groups as much as three inches at 200 yards.

gge515

TechHunter. I had the Savage Custom Shop build me a 16FHSS in 257 Roberts. It has been a great shooter out of the box. I have only shot reloads. I have not touched the screws. Rifle shoots best with a dirty barrel. I mean 50 rounds dirty. It likes 100 gr Nosler BT and Nosler 110 gr Accubond. It easily shoots 1 MOA 3 to 5 shots or under most of the time and some groups half inch to 3/4 inch. The other day it was foggy but I went to the range. I shot the Nosler 100 gr BT with 43.5 gr H4350. The first three shots were 1/4 inch and I stopped. I just couldn't make myself shoot any more at that group. I know a three shot group is a big difference from a 5 shot group but I got greedy.

Anyway excuse me for my rambling off the topic a little. But to answer your question, I like my Accustock Model 16FHSS. I doubt the Custom Shop did anything special to this rifle because of the 257 Roberts chambering as it is not offered off the shelf.

TechHunter

Hmmm, I continue getting mixed feedback on the Accustock and it does not sound as a big technological breakthroug that will result in .5 in groups consistently. If I go with an accustocked rifle, I will be limited on the aftermarket stocks that would fit the action. I may go with a stagerfeed action and custmize it. Allright folks, thanks to everyone!!

MSG Janoski

Last November I was afforded the opportunity to shoot several of the new Savages. 10's with McMillan, HPS and AccuStock and also the BAS and BAT models. These were all new, right out of the boxes. Up to that time all my experience had been with issued Remington's and Parker Hale's. What a shock I had! The Savages were outstanding, at 100, 300 and 600 meters the AccuStock models were all shooting around 1/2 moa and that was with 18 individuals firing. The 10 FCP-K easily out performed the McMillan and HPS. If someone really wanted to change from an AccuStock model AI is just releasing their new stock for the new Savages and Fred Choate is about to release his Tactical stock for them. I received a 10 FLCP-K and couldn't be more happy with it.

I may well be the only one less than thrilled about my accustock. However, this morning I removed my glass bedded stock from the action. It would appear that prior to today, the recoil lug only contacted at the very bottom of the rearward side and only in a spot roughly 1/4" diameter. The signature left by the glass bedding could be misleading. Still, I've tried several loads, several setting depths and a couple of powders. All with very similar results. After all this, I believe my gun will be a shooting star now. Time will tell, and I'll gladly report my findings. If in fact the wedge is sensitive to tension, I'd be troubled by the varying temperatures I would want to shoot in. Different temps would effectively change the wedge tension as well as the tension of the side rails. Does this mean some of you aren't doing well with your guns? Absolutely not, I'm just the unlucky guy who has had fits with his. I'd be the first to admit, perhaps I'm being too picky, trying to get my factory .25-06 to shoot 1/2" or better. My old Mauser in .25-06 with a wood stock and sporter barrel will do better than this fancy FCP-K has thus far. A factory gun shooting 1" or just shy of is not bad. If that makes an Accustock a success, I'm going to argue. Getting me to endorse it is another thing. No one can argue, it's sure fun to have the opportunity to talk theory and guns in general with others of similar interest. Thanks for that, Steve.

MSG Janoski

Steve,
    I'm a bit confused...you glass bedded over the 3D receiver area of the full length aluminum bedding?
    The Savage short at;
    http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/accustock/
    does a good job of explaining the AccuStock.

Also check this out on the FAQ;
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,29836.0.html

You're confused and I'm frustrated. I bedded what would amount to the front reciever ring, or just behind the recoil lug. Perhaps I made a good attempt at ruining a stock. At this point I don't care. The gun would not shoot to my expectations with 3 different bullets, 2 different powders, umpteen different seating depths, nor at least 2 different screw tensions on the stock wedge. So, after looking at all the targets, I deduced that the gun would/should shoot, if only bedded in a more conventional manner.Hopefully over the next few days, I'll put it back together and try what seemed the most promising loads. Then I'll be really happy or perplexed or ready to sell a rifle. When my rifle is apart from the stock, you can see marks on the reciever where the stock rails contact the action. These marks are different from one side to the other. On one side, the mark is heavy and somewhat forward of the other side. Then on the opposite side, the mark is lighter but towards the rear of the action. I've little faith in the machining of untold numbers of actions matching the manufacture of untold numbers of stocks. Never mind these actions and stocks are from what I understand is 2 different companies/facilities. I don't believe that my bedding will have ill effects in the performance of these 2 components. I understand it to be more or less common to bed HS Precision stocks, which were likely the first or best known stocks with an aluminum insert in them. Gunsmiths complain about the overall geometric dimensions of typical factory actions. This leads to the bedding idea of stocks with aluminum inserts. If you are happy with a gun that employs one of the inserts, your experience differs from mine and I applaud your good fortune. It may be that I've messed up what someone else would have had better luck with. Time will tell. Savage would no doubt have better engineering minds than mine and I hope them much success. Still my bedding shouldn't cause heartburn, if it does, I just might be interested in another stock. Probably not an Accustock though. Steve

Been thinking over my last post. Perhaps I should lighten up. If my comments sound adversarial let me apologize now, I did not mean to sound that way. I have been disappointed with my rifle, my hopes and expectations are maybe more like dreams or wishful thinking. Sorry, Steve.

MSG Janoski

Steve,
    I bet you're frustrated, and it's always a task trying to communicate things on a public forum!
    I was lucky when learning about Savages (after 30 + years of shooting) when I first shot them (1st reply in this thread) I/we had the Mil/Gov rep and later Chris Bezzina telling me the R&D behind the AccuStock, how to get the utmost accuracy from it (see second link) and how proud and satisfied Savage was with it.

Did you fire your rifle before bedding it? On my own range at my farm I'm shooting sub, right at and a bit less than 1/2 MOA out to 600 yards and as of today I've only put 40 rounds through it (GM308M). Like I said earlier, I've never had a weapon this accurate before.

I hope you can get yours working!

Janoski, I've probably got 250 rounds or so through this gun. I have the luxury of my own range as well. Sometimes life treats us better than we deserve! What I haven't admitted is that I have also fire lapped this gun with one of Mr. Tubbs systems. I had really good luck with my 700 in 280 using his fire lapping system. This time things improved by nearly 50% but still leaves me wishing for more. Thus where I am with this gun...There is also a .308 heavy barrel that shoots like a house afire, if just happens to be a Savage also. It however is just a plastic stock. So the journey continues, looking for more. More accuracy in this case.Steve