Thread: Ejector pin stuck in bolt

Ejector pin stuck in bolt

243 . . . I gues I had to hot of a load and to sum it up . . . my ejector pin is stuck in the bolt. It's probably a 32nd or so from the surface.

What is your suggestions to get it out?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Re: Ejector pin stuck in bolt

Drive out the retaining pin and it should pop out. Give it a good soaking in Pen-Oil first.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

after you get the cross pin out, you may have to poke at and work the ejector pin some. crud needs to be worked free or spring took a new compressed set.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Retainer pin is OUT, PIN is STUCK, I will try soaking it and poking at it a little.

Thanks again,

might be able to "Blow it out" by forcing compressed air through the retaining pin hole if you have compressed air available. Just a thought??
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member

Get an engraver pen and put the tip on the ejector. The vibrations will make it crawl out.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

8x57mm

I had the same issue with my 12FV .308 which I use for 600yd any/any shoots. After about 200 rounds of 175SMKs over 42gr of Reloader 15, the ejector crapped out. Seems to be a common issue with Savages from what I've heard and read many places elsewhere. I sent it to Savage, and they bounced it back to me with a new ejector in one week, and at no charge. I would recommend you do the same.

I have not fired it since the fix, I'll keep you posted. With spring around the corner here in NE, the 600 yd practices start in a couple of weeks.

JR
    [img width=600 height=204]http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/camo11.jpg[/img]

I put about 50 rounds through it hoping the pin would come out. That didn't work!

dsculley

Dennis, I just had the same problem. I worked the ejector back with a punch, then tapped the bolt face (took the bolt head off the bolt body) to work it forward again. Then I would push it back in and start all over. When I finally got the extractor to protrude from the bolt face enough, I grabbed it with a pair of needle nose visegrips. I kept the pin lubricated with the lubricant of choice (I used Royal Purple). I posted here and got lots of suggestions, much like the ones in this thread. Folks here just seem to want to help. Thanks again everyone.

I am trying everything, it will come out, sooner or later!

8x57mm

Call Savage, get a number, mail it to them. You would have it back by now.

JR

I put it in my ultrasonic cleaner and played with it awhile and finally it came out, clogged with burn't powder!

8x57mm

Then again... that might work as well.

JR

This is too late to help you Dennis, but it might help someone else-----I bought a used 12VLP in .204 Ruger and when I placed a new empty casing in the chamber and closed the bolt and then raised the bolt and drew the bolt back, the casing came out of the chamber, but dropped down on top of the magazine follower and did not eject. The ejector was level with the bolt face. I e-mailed the seller and he said he might have cut a few coils off the ejector spring because he didn't like to chase brass.

I took the bolt apart and could not get the ejector out. I soaked the bolt head in Kroil. The ejector wouldn't come out. A friend suggested I take a brass hammer, hold the bolt head in my left hand with the bolt face up and rap the bolt face with the brass hammer. Just like magic, the ejector popped up out of the hole far enough so I could get ahold of it with a needle nose pliers and pulled it out. There was no spring in there. I had a spring on hand and popped it in and all is well now. BRASS HAMMER--MAGIC!!!!
    Catch Ya L8R--Silverfox