Thread: Predator Camo Removal

pls4541

Predator Camo Removal

I have one of those savage 10 predators covered from head to toe in the mossy oak brush...I'm slowly picking it off the barrel and a few other metal parts and tonite decided to try a little Acetone.....the acetone actually dissolves the camo when a soaked rag is placed over the spot for a few minutes...but looks like it's going to be a real slow process.......anybody else have any ideas?.....I'm removing it from the metasl only and leaving the brush pattern on the stock. Thanks

Re: Predator Camo Removal

Have it media blasted
    NRA Endowed Patron Life Member GOA Life Member TSRA Life Member NSCA Life Member

Basic Member

Use laquer thinner instead of acetone. BE CAREFUL OF FUMES
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

pls4541

It's done...here is the procedure and results......disassembled the rifle, removed the trigger and safety to access only barrel & action. Picked up a can of Kudzit paint/laquer remover and brushed it on the parts (outside of the shop due to fumes) and the camo coating almost immediately began dissolving. Worked it a bit with a brush, toothbrush in the tight areas, then sprayed it down with brake cleaner to wash off the loosened camo. Procedure worked well..oiled everything with CLP then reassembled....
    Results were not quite what I expected....these is no smooth blue surface to the barrel....the exterior surface is very rough, almost ribbed finish, probably required to make the camo stick....it's definately different, and not very attractive......so, note to my gunsmith asking him to powder coat these parts when he can...probably should have left well enough alone but did learn something from this.

Hylander

Got any Pics ?

What was the reason for removing the Camo Finish that you paid extra to get ?
    I have the Predator Snow Camo and like it alot, Although I want a SS Bolt ;D

pls4541

Truthfully....it was just too much camo...got to admit I got it new from a buddy who is a dealer so he saved me quite a bit.....anyway, it's headed off to have the barrel & action powder coated ...gray or black, haven't decided....
    Yes, I've been checking out the new 16FHSS with the accustock.....sounds like a nice rig....interested to hear from someone who may have one and how well it shoots