Thread: PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

I thought the 260 Rem. is a take off from the 308Win. so it would be a short action caliber.
    I have seen here and elsewhere guys are using long actions for their builds. WHY?
    I was planning on doing one as soon as I find a donnor so do I now look for a long action or keep looking for a short action?
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

jlcpls

Re: PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

you'll need the extra action and mag length in order to cycle ammunition with the bullet seated out farther, (if you plan on seating longer bullets or shorter bullets out more).

Your not wrong, just under informed....

Salvo

The impression I get is that it depends upon whether you intend to build a hunting rifle, or a target/varmint rifle.

tinkerer

Actually, close.

The reason for a long action is not loading a longer or more seated out bullet, but unloading a loaded long bullet. With a SA, its harder, not impossible, whereas a long action can handle unloading a loaded long bullet.

Just shoot them and its all good.

Larry
    Tinkerer

I already have a stock for the build from Boyd's but I am not sure about opening the barrel channel for a varmint barrel(don't want to ruin stock. It is a long action stock in blue/gray. Now I need to think about the barrel contour, I like the heavier but the sporter will fit better.
    FROGGY

possum1

Did you get the JRS classic that's on sale ? If so how does it look ? Thinking about getting one.

steveinwv

My new 260 seats 140s out past 3.00". That just wont fit in a short action, unless it's confined to single shot.

No the thumbhole finished for $92-sky blue.
    FROGGY

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by steveinwv
    My new 260 seats 140s out past 3.00". That just wont fit in a short action, unless it's confined to single shot.
    I have been using a digital caliper way too much. I was using my dial caliper and getting 2.99" at 0.010" off of the lands. I started looking at the shell and thought "that doesn't look like 3 inches". Measured again and it was actually 2.79" and that WILL fit a short action all day long. Don't give up on your project if you have a short action.

usngunner

I build all of my .260's on short actions. But then I actually hunt with them. I don't load into the lands. ::)

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by usngunner
    I build all of my .260's on short actions. But then I actually hunt with them. I don't load into the lands. ::)
    Surely every gun is used to hunt with. My 22-250AI is loaded into the lands and it has killed more groundhogs than a 500 year flood.

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

I already have a stock for the build from Boyd's but I am not sure about opening the barrel channel for a varmint barrel(don't want to ruin stock. It is a long action stock in blue/gray. Now I need to think about the barrel contour, I like the heavier but the sporter will fit better.
    I don't think you will be able to get anything much heavier than a factory magnum contour barrel in that stock, mine doesn't have enough extra wood in the forend.

Quote Originally Posted by possum1
    Did you get the JRS classic that's on sale ? If so how does it look ? Thinking about getting one.
    I have one of those also and it is a nice stock, this one has plenty of extra wood in the forend to open up the barrel channel, It's also a fairly heavy stock.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

jrmy_1

I'm building a .308 on a long action. If I wanted to use the action for a long action cartridge down the road, I can, but it won't work the other way around. I don't think there is any reason to use a short action if you can help it....