Thread: 300 win mag tests today--when a good grouping isn't good.

300 win mag tests today--when a good grouping isn't good.

Finally got to test my 300 win mags which are 180 nosler ballistic tip and propelled by RL22 (courtesy of big honkin jeep); ran an Audette ladder in charges ranging from 72 to 75 grs (.5 increments).

Unfortunately, the biggest range I can fire at is 100 yds--and I've managed to get adequate results before with other calibers up to 308 win. I tested 7 loads for each ladder and repeated them twice--and every shot of all loads landed within about 1 MOA in both tests. The good news 300 win mag is gonna be good with just about anything at close range--or so it appears. The bad news is I'm pretty sure I'll never find any nodes without going out to 2 or 300 yds.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Yeah you really need to get out past 300 yrds. It makes life much easier.

Here's one I did with the creedmoor. You can see how easy it makes it

Basic Member
    There is a thread on another site about doing testing for long range shooting at 100 yards. There is a lot of talk about being able to decipher 100 yard groups to determine how the load will shoot at much longer ranges. I am not that skilled- I've seen lots of groups that shot tiny little groups at 100 but opened up pretty bad beyond say 300. In my limited experience a load thaat shoots well at 300 will shoot out to 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    There is a thread on another site about doing testing for long range shooting at 100 yards. There is a lot of talk about being able to decipher 100 yard groups to determine how the load will shoot at much longer ranges. I am not that skilled- I've seen lots of groups that shot tiny little groups at 100 but opened up pretty bad beyond say 300. In my limited experience a load thaat shoots well at 300 will shoot out to 1k.
    Yeah--OWC claims that it can be done at close range but I have to hold off for now--it's just too darn expensive to load 30 to 50 rounds for testing purposes. I don't see how you can get anything meaningful out of this cartridge at 100 yds with the results I've had so far.

Don't burn it up too quick. I have yet to find anymore :) Really haven't had time to look or to play with the RL15 I got in trade.
    It sounds like you're gonna be OK and managed to get your hands on a shooter.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Don't burn it up too quick. I have yet to find anymore :) Really haven't had time to look or to play with the RL15 I got in trade.
    It sounds like you're gonna be OK and managed to get your hands on a shooter.
    No kiddin--each round eats 72 to 76 grs! I have seen RL15 here and there--but haven't seen any sign of 22 anywhere. I switched to IMR 4831 for my next batch--LRX 175-- but I'm thinking it would be a waste to fire them at 100 yds.

Basic Member
    I'm looking for some lrx 175's to try in my 300 wsm. People have had great success with them.
    I'm going to try either rl17 or 4831sc depending what I can find

Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    I'm looking for some lrx 175's to try in my 300 wsm. People have had great success with them.
    I'm going to try either rl17 or 4831sc depending what I can find
    Highly recommend it--so far they seem to shoot significantly better than TSX's out of my 308.

Basic Member
    Sounding pretty good Therm. I think the 300 is so non-peculiar on loads that you definitely have to reach out some distance to get reliable information. I was on my way to try mine out at 600m with 200g smk's yesterday but got delayed until after dark. I don't even think it is the cost of working up a good load that matters that much anymore, its the fact that when you finally get the load worked up, you can't find the replacement components (powder) to use your data.