Thread: Long time reader first post.

BigBirdLS1

Long time reader first post.

I am working on my first rifle build. I will have a savage 110 Long Action with small shank. The barrel will be a 24" varmint contour barrel from what I understand it has the same contour as a factory Savage varmint barrel. I am looking at Boyds stock and for what I want the Boyds classic or Prarie Hunter will have the looks I am going for. problem is they are only made for factory sporter barrel.

My question is can I use either of these stocks and be able to open the barrel channel enough to fit in those stocks barrel channel. The channel is .750 inches with appoximately .010-.015 clearance. The barrels diameter tapers to just under .800. Does any body have any ideas or even have the same setup as I do.

I also am wondering one other thing. Can I reuse the barrel nut that will be on the factory barrel.

The caliber will be a 6.5x55 Swede.

Thanks you guys for all the info I have learned over these forums the last few months and also for any info y'all can give me. I appreciate it also if you have any suggestions or questions feel free to ask them.

BigBirdLS1
    I knew I would forget something can I reuse the recoil lug that is on the original barrel? Or will I need a new one since the barrel will have a different contour.

Basic Member
    Welcome!!

Same recoil lug is good to go.

ShawneeB
    Welcome. I like the Swede. I don't know about the boyds opening that far but I'm pretty sure their 110 stock comes in 2 size channels. BBl nut should be just fine using the proper wrench. New nuts $16-17

Basic Member
    You would have to do some sanding to open up the barrel channel. Pipe with sand paper or router table for that.

On the barrel nut. I prefer to replace my barrel nuts with the notched ones so the wrenches can be easier used on them.

BigBirdLS1
    Thanks I will have the proper wrench for sure and once this barrel is on its staying on...I am looking at several rifles to use as a donor action and all of them have the notched barrel nuts. Which I'm glad because those smooth nuts look like a booger to get loose and not tear them up.

Also I called Boyds and they only offer the thumbhole stock in a larger enough barrel channel. I'm a lefty shooter with a right handed rifle so that stock won't work. I guess I will just have to open the classic or prarie hunter stock up.

Basic Member
    I am a lefty also but I have lefty guns. Look at the tacticool, I really like mine. I take the smooth ones off with a pipe wrench and throw them in the trash. My last two rifles had Mongo put them on at the factory and they were scary to get off.