Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone rebarrel your Axis to another caliper yet?

bloodhawke83

Question Rebarreling axis 223to 6.5cm update post 22

I want to change out my Axis in 223 to 308 and drop it into a Boyd's stock for hunting.

Another Question, would any 308 model 10 bolt work on the Axis action?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/631...tainless-steel

Thanks,

Buying a new gun isn't an option, I have no room for one.
    Last edited by bloodhawke83; 03-08-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Basic Member
    This is easy to do.

1. get a Small Shank (or Standard Shank) 308 barrel.

2. Get a 308 bolt head and change it out on your Axis bolt.

3. Head space with go/no go gauges.

4. Go shoot it.

A model 10 bolt will not work in the Axis, you just need a Savage .308 Bolt head which I believe is the .475 version. I can't remember all the numbers off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure people have had good luck with PTG products.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 01-15-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Additional notes

bloodhawke83
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    This is easy to do.

4. Go shoot it.

A model 10 bolt will not work in the Axis, you just need a Savage .308 Bolt head which I believe is the .475 version. I can't remember all the numbers off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure people have had good luck with PTG products.
    thanks, now I have a direction to go. I wasn't so sure on the bolt.

Basic Member
    I have been looking into rebarreling mine from 308 to 7.5x55, but will need to open the bolt face from .473 to .498 for the 7.5 cartridge. From what I have been able to research, I think it needs to be a short action bolt head, but others may know better.

n4ue
    I've redone the following Axis (.223s) into:
    .221 Fireball
    .223 AI
    .22-224 Ruger
    6.5 TCU

Very easy once you have a Wheeler nut wrench and a good vice and alum jaws to hold the bbls.....

ron

chunk
    Axis 308 into 450 bushmaster got it back today

steveNChunter
    I may rebarrel my .223 Axis to 6x45 someday, but that will just be a simple barrel swap.

to the OP, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just sell the .223 and buy an Axis in .308?
    Last edited by steveNChunter; 01-15-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveNChunter View Post
    to the OP, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just sell the .223 and buy an Axis in .308?
    Now what is the fun in that! You learn so much more about your rifle when you build it yourself! I'm proud to say no Gunsmith has ever worked on my Axis and it's the nicest rifle I've ever shot long distance next to a standard issue Marine Corps M40A5. Only thing that really made the M40 feel better was the can on it that reduced recoil to 22LR level.

steveNChunter
    I have a couple semi-custom rifles myself, but they aren't in factory chamberings offered with the rifle. Even if the OP wants a custom .308, he would be better off to at least start with a .308 mag and .473 bolt face. Starting with a .223 he has the wrong bolt face and the magazine won't work. But by all means it can be done if you want. When the donor rifle for a build can be bought new for $279 (or less if you catch a good sale) it's kinda pointless to put money into changing another rifle to make it work. But if you're heart is set on converting your .223 to .308, then go for it.

bloodhawke83
    Quote Originally Posted by steveNChunter View Post
    I have a couple semi-custom rifles myself, but they aren't in factory chamberings offered with the rifle. Even if the OP wants a custom .308, he would be better off to at least start with a .308 mag and .473 bolt face. Starting with a .223 he has the wrong bolt face and the magazine won't work. But by all means it can be done if you want. When the donor rifle for a build can be bought new for $279 (or less if you catch a good sale) it's kinda pointless to put money into changing another rifle to make it work. But if you're heart is set on converting your .223 to .308, then go for it.
    I'm in CA, all new purchases of long guns are registered and we have to get a long gun safety certificate now. I'm happy with the amount of guns I have now. Axis is going for 350 here and would be 450 out the door, I can rebarrel with less.

Basic Member
    Where in Cali? If you want I can help with your build. I have all the tools and have completely rebuilt my own Axis.

bloodhawke83
    Where in Cali? If you want I can help with your build. I have all the tools and have completely rebuilt my own Axis.
    NorCal, near Roseville.

Basic Member
    See that's the problem, not only am I a country boy stuck in California, but I'm also stuck in SOCAL and all the more normal people hang out up north lol.

bloodhawke83
    See that's the problem, not only am I a country boy stuck in California, but I'm also stuck in SOCAL and all the more normal people hang out up north lol.
    it's where all the fresh water is, our bums bathe in the SoCal water.

bloodhawke83
    This is easy to do.

4. Go shoot it.

THis bolt is too small.

PTG Bolt Head Savage 10 Series 308 Bolt Face Right Hand
    Specifications:

Bolt Face Size: 308 Winchester (Standard)
    Ejection Port: Right Hand Side
    Action Size: Short
    Lug Size: .442"
    Shank: 1"

Can't find spec for the OEM part.

Savage Arms Bolt Head Short Action Savage 10 to 16 Push Feed Right Hand 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 260 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, 308 Winchester

Any clues?

bloodhawke83

Rebarreling axis 223to 6.5cm update post 22

I just did some measure, looks like the PTG will work. Mine measured .437, i can just file it down if it's not perfect. Now, I just need my tax refund. :D

PTG Bolt Head Savage 10 Series 308 Bolt Face Right Hand
    Specifications:
    Bolt Face Size: 308 Winchester (Standard)
    Ejection Port: Right Hand Side
    Action Size: Short
    Lug Size: .442"
    Shank: 1"
    Last edited by bloodhawke83; 03-08-2016 at 08:22 PM.

steveNChunter
    I'm in CA, all new purchases of long guns are registered and we have to get a long gun safety certificate now. I'm happy with the amount of guns I have now. Axis is going for 350 here and would be 450 out the door, I can rebarrel with less.
    Ok, that explains a lot. I completely understand your reasoning now. Carry on

bloodhawke83
    after some more looking at the available barrels and the backlogs. 35 remington looking nice, .358 bullet in .308 case. this gun will be only for hunting anyways. I just need to check my local reloading store to see how well stocked on 35cal.

I have a barrel in 284 Winchester on order that will go on an Axis action once I receive it. Also having the action trued up to take a full recoil lug.

steveNChunter
    Bloodhawke83, the .35 remington is not a .308 family case. It's roots can be traced back to Europe actually, as the 9.1x49. Remington took that cartridge and changed very little other than a very slight difference in bore diameter, and it became the .35 remington in 1908 in the Model 8 semi-auto rifle. It has a .460 diameter case head vs. the .308's .473 diameter. The .358 Winchester is essentially a .308 necked up to .35 caliber. Also .35 remington ammo and brass is really scarce right now, and as the cartridge gets ever closer to obsolescence, it will probably only get worse. I have a .35 rem Marlin 336 that I load for, but I've had my brass for several years. The .35 rem is a great cartridge, but I'd advise against chambering a new rifle for it unless you have ample availability of ammo or brass. .358 win would be a better choice IMO. It will make better use of the full length of the action in a bolt gun.

bloodhawke83
    ^^i was looking at this one.

E. R. Shaw Barrel Kit Savage 110 Series Small Shank 358 Winchester Factory Magnum Contour 1 in 14" Twist 24" Stainless Steel

bloodhawke83
    getting my bolt guns done this year!!!

ordered:
    1. ordered PTG savage 308 bolt head for my axis (still waiting)
    2. ordered 6.5 creedmoor go/nogo gauges, case gauge wheel barel wrench.
    3. ordered Criterion Barrel for my axis, with action wrench, new trigger and nut.

what type of wrench you use on the barrel wrench to extend it?? and i know i am missing a barrel vice, anything else?

Team Savage
    You do not need a barrel vice, you have a action wrench
    if you need to extend the nut wrench use a 1/2in breaker bar
    myself I use a 3lb dead blow hammer

If you want to drive to Kennedy Meadows I will change it for you

bloodhawke83
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    You do not need a barrel vice, you have a action wrench
    if you need to extend the nut wrench use a 1/2in breaker bar
    myself I use a 3lb dead blow hammer

If you want to drive to Kennedy Meadows I will change it for you
    ok, thanks for the offer. i planned to do this at my friends shop, depends if i get the bolt on time and he has free time. i want to get it done before ssz7.0. :)

i ordered the bolt on 02/10/2016 and should come in some time this month, i hope. my rem700 bolt is already in transit.

Basic Member

Axis Rebarrel

Since you resurrected the thread, I'd thought I'd post pics of my Axis rebarreled to 223 (started life as 308.).

It was actually 7.5x55 for a short while, but I have since put that barrel on a 110 action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast