Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens 200...dead for real?

Stevens 200...dead for real?

It has been oft-rumored, but browsing the Savage website looking for SHOT releases I noticed that when you click Stevens 200, it says "Not available at this time" and it is not shown on the "List Firearms" page.

Basic Member
    Hmmm me thinks you might be right...

Basic Member
    I think they are messing up by taking it away. With a few added extras these gun are very good in my opinion. I don't understand why some of the major stock makers do not do more for this rifle, absolutely ridiculous trying to find a good aftermarket stock at an affordable price for the 200.

Quote Originally Posted by jraney View Post
    I think they are messing up by taking it away. With a few added extras these gun are very good in my opinion. I don't understand why some of the major stock makers do not do more for this rifle, absolutely ridiculous trying to find a good aftermarket stock at an affordable price for the 200.
    You can use any Model 10 stock on a Stevens 200 short action, and any Model 110 stock on a Stevens 200 long action.

Quote Originally Posted by jraney View Post
    They use the same stocks as the 10/110 Savage, for which there's a plethora of stocks available....
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I'll take the 200 over the Axis any day.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

Team Savage
    The Savage 11/111 Hunter XP is basically a top bolt release Stevens 200 action with a black DBM stock instead of a blind magazine stock. Plus you get a very cheap Bushnell scope for around just under $400 street price. With the Axis now filling the just under $300 street price point and selling like "hot cakes", my bet is the Stevens 200 is history.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the advice about the stock I was unaware of this I think I will check on some this evening. As for the axis this is my opinion in which I am entitled to. They axis is ugly plain and simple the stock, the bolt handle , and the action but that is just my opinion. I am sure there are others who would disagree that is fine I also understand that looks do not affect accuracy. With all that said I think my next savage will be from a pawn shop probly, surely I can find something close to what I want there.

Stonewall_Jackson
    My guess is they know a person can build a great rifle from a 200 and they want to sell you a great rifle instead - for more money.

shooterfclass
    /\
    /\
    + 1

defoxer
    Just checked the site....it definitely says "Stevens; Not available at this time"
    Was there no industry announcement? This is the end then.... Give me a 200 over the edge... sorry Axis any day.
    Down under we had the short action stevens discontinued when the Axis hit the streets, so now we can say bye bye to the long action (300wm/7mmRM).
    Its interesting that the local forums rave over the Remchester 700 while dump on the 'cheapo stevens'....however the second hand market rarely see a stevens 200....(while littered with 700's!)

maxl
    Just found a stevens 200 in 25-06 a few weeks ago at a LGS new in the box built in 2006, got it for 350.00 bought it for a 6.5x55 build I will do in the future, must not be good sellers to have around for7 yrs.I'm happy with my find so it might take years to sell all of them already out there just sitting on a shelf waiting for a new home.

Basic Member
    The main reason for Savage to discontinue the Stevens 200 is the price it costs to build them and the price they can sell them to make a profit. As others have said, the actions is the same as a 10/110 so the price is the same. The axis was designed to be manufactured at a lower price point so Savage could offer the Axis at a price point comparable to the cheaper bolt action rifles that the competitors are building.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Gmountain
    What are the differences between the Axis and the Stevens?

Basic Member
    The Stevens 200 uses the same action as the Savage line, but in a cheaper stock and without an Accutrigger. Late 200s used the same trigger as the Axis and early 200s used the pre-Accutrigger Savage trigger. The Axis has a long action only with a trigger guard that also serves as a spacer on short action calibers. On short action cartridges the bolt has a spacer to shorten the bolt throw. The Axis has a very flimsy stock, much flimsier than a Savage/Stevens line which is also too flimsy, and it is very narrow at the wrist. This is why Axis owners were so glad when Boyds announced a laminate stock for the Axis.

defoxer
    The 200 doesnt sell because in my experience anyway, the retailers move the stevens to the back, dont promote them and scoff when a punter walks in and asks for one. Why? Simple. they can sell a 700 and make twice, sell a sako and make multiple times more on the sale.

The difference Axis to 200/110; main diff being the action cutout for the recoil lug. this creates a non-consistent pressure around the nut-action interface, can this be a good thing? it couldn't aid things....

ShawneeB
    Say it isn't so! I love my 200's. Got another new one in today :)

According to Charles and his escapades at the SHOT Show earlier this week, the Stevens 200 is gone as are all the Stevens rimfire models. Makes sense and the writing was clearly on the wall for the Stevens 200 as it really didn't serve a purpose or fill a role anymore since they have the Axis line now. And with the Axis models reportedly going to be getting the AccuTrigger it really makes it a no-brainer to discontinue the Stevens 200.

And I've never seen a single Stevens rimfire rifle on a shelf at a dealer. Not surprising considering they were just the low-end Savage rimfires without the AccuTrigger.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnslim View Post
    I'll take the 200 over the Axis any day.
    The Stevens 200 was a Savage with a different name on the bolt. Best buy in hunting rifles ever made.

Basic Member
    Looks like it's "dead" unlike this "thread". I'm a poet and didn't even Know it.

Basic Member
    Hey! Some of us got "feelins" here! How about a little sensivity! ;-((

Basic Member
    Last night I got a call from my BIL, he is selling a High Wall in 300WSM that he has, and part of the compensation the buyer is offering is a Stevens 200 in 22/250 with 3x9x40 Nikon BDC, a Harris BiPod, & 50 rounds of ammo. The buyer wants $400 credit toward the purchase for the package. My BIL is a Remington 700 fan, so he called me for advise and offered the package to me. After thinking about it last night and reading the sad news above, I called him back this AM and told him I would take it. Now knowing my BIL, I know he is going to make a few bucks of me in the deal, never the less, I feel I would be remiss if I do not take advantage of this. Let the "excessive compulsive behavior" continue! Oh well-the money I have spent lately on brass cases has kept me away from brass poles ;-((

ShawneeB
    Tha's a pretty good deal FW. Hard to pass up.

So answer me this: What benefit does the Stevens 200 have over the Axis?

Pros:
    - Can swap barrels on both
    - Both accept Savage pre-fit barrels
    - Aftermarket triggers are available for both
    - Accutrigger can be adapted to both
    - Aftermarket stocks are available for both
    - Axis is offered in both LH and RH versions
    - Axis will get the AccuTrigger from the factory starting this year

Cons:
    - Both come with crappy synthetic stocks
    - Both come with horrible, non-adjustable triggers
    - Both only offered in one magazine configuration from factory
    - Stevens 200 only offered in RH version

So yeah, what's the difference if it's a Stevens 200 or an Axis when they're essentially the exact same thing?

And since I know some know-it-all will bring it up this argument: no the aftermarket stock options aren't as wide-ranging for the Axis as they are for the Stevens 200, but you can get an Axis stock for most any kind of shooting you want to do - including benchrest and F-class.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

ShawneeB
    Long action 30-06 and a short action 243, both brandy new Stevens 200's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast