Thread: Parts Arrived From NSS!

Parts Arrived From NSS!

I am like a kid in a candy store today! The parts came in from NSS and I am about as happy as can be. Anyhoot, I will probably get started on the build later in the week. I am still trying to decide if I want to remove the barrel from the 116 that is arriving later this week or leave it as is for hunting and build the 6.5-284 on a short action: darned decisions

Cheers,

Shawn
    "Face Piles of Trials With Smiles"
    NRA Life Member

Nice, nice stuff there!! That's my kinda candy store for sure

That action has a lot of bad issues. You need to send it to me for proper disposal.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Very nice!

Nice and clean.

Basic Member
    gotta love it, it's like an adults Lego set. now see what you can do with those parts!

Bruce

deerandduck
    Gotta love it. Nice clean parts on a VERY clean work area.... just so nice.

Wow! Having only every bought my Savage's off the used rack, those new parts sure are Purdy!!!

I am like a kid in a candy store today
    Know the feeling. Enjoy!
    Last edited by wbm; 02-04-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Wow! I am jealous.

Shiney! :)

What stock have you chosen?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Got the same setup, but in .260 Match for my son for Xmas.

Still working on the custom stock. I prefer laminate, epoxy bedded. Not many choices commercially in the DBM (in laminate), so I bought one from Boyd's, modified it to suit and put it on the duplicator to cut a custom one.

Just finished bedding the action. Ready for the paint job...

Good luck with it.

Thanks..

Regarding stocks, I have kinda sorta chosen an HS Precision stock: had them put my name in the que just in case. I ended up talking with Russo from Russo Stocks and found out that they were more than I wanted to spend. I am still looking for a nice grade of wood stock for finishing but might end up going with the HS Precision in the end or even a Manners stock.

Cheers!

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

Saw,

As for action length, what bullet and OAL of cartridge are you ending up with? My 6.5x284 is in a single shot 12F, and with the Berger 140 VLD match LR's I cannot extract a loaded round. The port length is too small. Just something to take into consideration.

If you're not sure what you're OAL will end up as, you can seat a bullet now and just drop it in your chamber, start seated long and keep seating it in until the cartridge head spaces. That will give you a good idea of cartridge length with bullet touching lands.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    Saw,

As for action length, what bullet and OAL of cartridge are you ending up with? My 6.5x284 is in a single shot 12F, and with the Berger 140 VLD match LR's I cannot extract a loaded round. The port length is too small. Just something to take into consideration.

If you're not sure what you're OAL will end up as, you can seat a bullet now and just drop it in your chamber, start seated long and keep seating it in until the cartridge head spaces. That will give you a good idea of cartridge length with bullet touching lands.
    I have yet to load up any rounds. If I do end up using the short action, I am not real worried about OAL or ejecting a loaded cartridge: it would be a single shot. I have a Savage 116 long action arriving at the end of the week specifically for the 6.5-284 shilen barrel. However, I might leave the 116 alone and shoot it as is. This would leave the 6.5-284 Shilen barrel laying around for a cold and rainy day:) The 260 barrel will be going on the short action varmint: building two complete rifles based on Savage actions.

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

Small update: The Savage 116 LH came in today but it was not the one with the upper bolt release which is no big deal. I just sold a Remington 700 varmint in 308 and had a McMillan M40a1 stock that was supposed to go on the 700. I gave McMillan a call today and ask if I could send the 700 stock back and swap it out for one that fits a Savage: they said no problem.

Everything is working out great with one exception... The newer Savage barrel nut does not have any grooves for the wrench. I am going to have to borrow a pipe wrench to get this puppy off..

Cheers,

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

thomae
    If you wrap the smooth barrel nut with a piece of copper from a cut section of copper pipe and use a lot of rosin between the copper and the barrel nut, you may be able to apply the wrench to the copper and not damage the barrel nut.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    If you wrap the smooth barrel nut with a piece of copper from a cut section of copper pipe and use a lot of rosin between the copper and the barrel nut, you may be able to apply the wrench to the copper and not damage the barrel nut.
    Thanks! I am going to try the 3 or 4 wraps of ducktape and a pipe wrench with the action mounted in the NSS action wrench and give it a good wack. If that doesn't work, I could always try cutting a groove down the barrel nut to free things up. Now, I need to order the NSS recoil lug and replacement barrel nut.

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Since you're going to be replacing the barrel nut anyway...
    Just put the action wrench head in a vise (with the barreled action), and use a pipe wrench on the smooth barrel nut.
    No reason to overcomplicate it....

The action screws aren't provided with the actions Jim sells, so my only problem has been finding them in ss at the local hdwe stores. Gonna have to order them online.