Thread: New to site.

dlrrlr

Angry New to site.

I am new to this site and I have to say something that is on my mind. I have been looking for a 6.5x284 in the Model 116 combo. I finally purchased one last week and I loved the way it looked. So I cleaned it up and reloaded some rounds to test fire out of it. My first load was IMR 4350 with 47.0 grs. of powder, Rem 9 1/2 primer with a 140 Nosler Partition seated at 2.950.

The first round felt a little tight going into the chamber, after firing the round it was very hard to eject. Upon inspection of the round, I noticed that the case was all scratched up and that you could feel some of the scratch marks with your fingernail. This was the case with all 5 rounds that I fired. The brass that I was using was from Norma which is one of the best brasses that you can buy. I went ahead and test fired 4 other loads with the same results.

Called Savage arms today to ask some questions about what was happening. After a 25 minute wait, I got a person named Jennifer, and I asked to speak to a tech to ask some questions about what was happening with my gun. She asked me what kind of ammunition I was using and I told her that I reloaded my own. Her response, "No tech will talk to you about your problems because you hand loaded your ammunition, because Savage Arms only recommends factory rounds in their guns." I was absolutely taken aback by this comment, I told her than maybe I should just send the rifle back and get my money back it this is the way that Savage Arms helps their customers. Her Answer, "Do what you have to do, no tech will talk to you about your problem." With that being said I am totally frustrated, and I can't believe that a Customer Rep. would talk to me like that.

What kind of Customer service is that. Has anyone had any problems with a Customer Rep.? How can I get a hold of a Corporate Manager about this problem? If any one can help me out I would greatly appreciate it very much.

Sorry for this rant but this is not the way a Company should treat someone who buys their products.

God Bless to all,
    Dave

There are too many variables involved in troubleshooting handloads for a tech to spend time on. I can't blame them too much for not helping you since the manual clearly states they do not recommend using hand loaded ammunition. Your problem was not firearm related as much as it was hand load related. When dealing with customer service, attitude goes a long way towards getting a workable solution. Get some factory ammo and shoot it. If the cases cycle through properly, move on to refining your reloading steps to clear up the issue with brass fired in another chamber. If the cases are still getting scratched, call them again. This time you won't be giving them an out card.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

dlrrlr
    Even a factory load was hard to get in, and when ejected without firing the round it had scratches on the brass as well.

Yours would not be the first to have a foreign object land in the lug area during shipping. Does the bolt close easily without a cartridge?
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

dcloco
    What reloading manual did you grab your starting load from? From what you posted, you are over max charge according to Hodgdon's website.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Quote Originally Posted by dlrrlr View Post
    I am new to this site and I have to say something that is on my mind. I have been looking for a 6.5x284 in the Model 116 combo. I finally purchased one last week and I loved the way it looked. So I cleaned it up and reloaded some rounds to test fire out of it. My first load was IMR 4350 with 47.0 grs. of powder, Rem 9 1/2 primer with a 140 Nosler Partition seated at 2.950........

Isn't the 6.5X284 a wildcat that almost has to be handloaded?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Isn't the 6.5X284 a wildcat that almost has to be handloaded?
    Not any more.