Thread: Left hand Axis into right hand boyds stock.

Left hand Axis into right hand boyds stock.

I have made my lefty fit a boyds stock...

All you really need to do is cut a new slot for the bolt handle, I bought a cutter for the dremel to do this. So all I did was fit the action with the bolt in, then started to cut down at the same shape / angle as the bolt handle. Once I had a basic path I then just kept fitting and checking the handle for travel, removing a little at a time and recheck.

This was easer than I thought it would be. Very few tools needed, a cutter and sanding wheel then some 400 wet and dry sand paper.

Few photos...
    Cutting tools used.

Cut the basic shape first...

Then start to refine it.... a little at a time.

Finish bolt handle slot with fine sand paper...

Scope back on and ready to go for testing... as soon as I can get to the range...

I am still debating what to do with the right hand cut out... bought some black food die and araldite, will think about this a little longer.

I understand and admire why you did that... But, for myself I'm still hopeful that Boyd's see the light and make a "True" left handed stock available for the Axis. I thought about it the other day, and came to realize I have never in my life (been shooting since age 8, 53 now) shot a true Monte Carlo style rifle stock. The cheek swell has always been on the wrong side. Heck, I don't even know if I would ever like that type of stock, but I would still like to try one, but of the hundreds of rifles I've shot, I've never shot a left handed Monte Carlo type stock. If Boyd's doesn't ever make a true left hand version available I'll just modify the factory stock, or go with one from S.S.S.

But, I don't wish to take anything away from yours... Congratulations on a very fine modification job, hopefully it will be a great shooter for you. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogeritall View Post
    I understand and admire why you did that... But, for myself I'm still hopeful that Boyd's see the light and make a "True" left handed stock available for the Axis. I thought about it the other day, and came to realize I have never in my life (been shooting since age 8, 53 now) shot a true Monte Carlo style rifle stock. The cheek swell has always been on the wrong side. Heck, I don't even know if I would ever like that type of stock, but I would still like to try one, but of the hundreds of rifles I've shot, I've never shot a left handed Monte Carlo type stock. If Boyd's doesn't ever make a true left hand version available I'll just modify the factory stock, or go with one from S.S.S.

But, I don't wish to take anything away from yours... Congratulations on a very fine modification job, hopefully it will be a great shooter for you. :)
    Boyd's has been here asking about the lefty axis stocks I think they will be doing something. They expanded there lefty model 10 line as I have a beautiful olive and black Tacticool now. Keep calling them also! I think my next build may be on an axis so I want a lefty axis Tacticool laminate.

Team Savage
    It has been mentioned that SSS does the inlet in different steps so it's a matter of doing the bolt handle cut to whichever side you want, after the action inlet.
    I did a right hand laminated black and grey thumbhole stock to fit my "lefty" Model 10 action. Hack saw, round file and sand paper got the job done. Turned out real nice.
    Plugged the right bolt handle cut with clear bedding compound. Sanded it smooth then colored it with a black marker and rubbed it till it was a close match to the rest of the stock. Shot it with clear coat. You have to look real hard to see the plug.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    good stuff to know for a lefty like myself...thanks
    Forgive My Sins.... Jesus .... Save My Soul

lopeha
    Talked to the folks at Boyd's this week. I have a RH Axis but I shoot lefty & wanted the cheek piece on the right side. They said sorry but no go, although the CS rep did fill out a product request form so maybe they will offer/build a Classic or Prairie Hunter with the cheek piece that will be on both sides

Since they're coming out with dedicated LH Axis stocks next week I really doubt they will offer up a ******* stock for a RH action and LH shooter - just wouldn't be a profitable item for them to inventory as the market would be very, very small.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Deserthunter

Post Check your order carefully...

Twice in the last two years Boyd's has screwed me. I ordered a Left Handed stock for a Remington 700LH in 270win, after waiting 8 wks the first time the stock that showed up was a RIGHT Handed stock... The second time I ordered a left handed stock, I got a left handed stock, with a right-hand bolt handle cut out.... imagine that.... The second time they said keep the first stock and they shipped out a left-hand stock the next day.... I just wish that once they made up there mind to make the lefty stocks they had the business sense to fill there orders correctly...., By the way, I took the left handed right bolt and cut the bolt into the left side, like you've done, since this was a Remington, instead of a Savage, I had to pillar-bed and then glass bed the action. On my last Savage I decided to use a Choate Varmint Stock in Left hand, there's has a full aluminum rail running up both sides....