Thread: How effective is a ramrod as a projectile?

corgiman

How effective is a ramrod as a projectile?

And how likely is it to cause damage when fired from a Savage 10 ML-II ahead of 43 grains of 4759?

I cannot visually detect damage, but think that I feel what must be caused by a bulge in barrel as I seat the bullet.

However, it still seems to shoot well.

After that last shot of this year's deer seasons the doe stepped into the open and just stood. She should have been my fifth deer. I was so angry at myself that gave some thought to opening a fifth.

This happened on 12/17. Tomorrow I'll call Savage to ask about having them look at it.

So..... Apparently the ramrod is NOT very effective ? :-)

Well it works in the Movies

Westcliffe01
    Not sure I would be shooting a weapon that experienced such a huge overpressure (ya think that was a valid load for a 1000gr + projectile ?)

How was the recoil. I was at the range one day & seen a guy break his collar bone when he accidentally loaded two bullets in a savage, gun did not appear damaged.

Basic Member
    At least it was a muzzle loader! I saw the aftermath of a savage 110ba 338 Lapua that left the cleaning rod in the barrel...

They say there are two kinds of muzzleloader hunters...those that have shot there ramrods and those that will! I luckily haven't ye and I shoot more muzzleloader rounds than centerfire in a giving year.

I would put a tight fitting patch on your cleaning jag and slowly work your way down the bore. You will feel the pressure get lighter if there is a buldge any where. It will more than likely be where the powder was sitting. Also check your stock over real well. My FIL's barrel was good to go after a ramrod launching but his stock cracked along the wrist.

Glad your OK!

Not experienced in he ways of the Savage muzzleloader, but is this a case of putting your ramrod in the wrong hole?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

corgiman
    The scope headed sharply towards my eyebrow, but the blow was partly taken up by the brim of my cap. More recoil for sure, but no damage to me.

I've sent the rifle to Savage now. We'll see what they say.

corgiman
    Likely I just failed to pull it out ... what happened is not clear to me ... I had lost my first supply of bullet and powder by dropping it into the snow. However, I had time to go to a deeper pocket for my backup, but that rattled me. It was cold, single digits.

All this as the deer, despite the first shot, continued to slowly wander by.

corgiman
    Pretty sure I feel the lighter pressure ... I've sent it to Savage for checking of this and the stock. I'll return to this thread when I find out.

I've been hunting with a muzzleloader for three years and have practiced a lot, firing about 300 shots; and have taken one deer with it. Took four deer with a couple of centerfire rifles this season. So I'm used to seeing deer.

corgiman
    Anyone hurt?

ShawneeB
    I have. Buddy loaded his 58 cal Enfield musket with a 510gr minie, 80gr FF and handed it to me. Kicked pretty darn hard. I looked at him ready to club him and I saw pure surprise and knew it wasn't on purpose at all. Asked if he mistakenly could have double charged ball or powder and he said no. Asked if I hit anything and he said "I don't know but saw a stick flying about 80 yards out" both figured a stick/branch in the clear cut jumped when hit. Next time we went to load, couldn't find his ramrod :) Good thing a 1/2" hickory range rod and not the steel one!

Never shot my own ramrod though. Never harmed a BP firearm in 46 years of constant shooting them either. But I pay attention to what I am doing. And if I am going to shoot someone elses rifle. I LOAD IT MYSELF.

I have seen BP kabooms though, just not mine and it was their fault not the firearm.

corgiman
    I found this on others' experience on shooting out ramrods .. written by Randy Wakeman ... I still wait for Savage's report on the 10ML-II I did this with.

"The Savage has two large gas vents in the sides of the barrel. It is part of Savage's redundant safety system. These gas vents which would direct gas away from the shooter's face if anything got through the breechplug. (It never has, to my knowledge.) In an Encore, escaping gas has nowhere to go.Can you imagine shooting a cleaning rod out of a .30-06 or a shotgun? Well, customers have shot ramrods out of their Savage 10ML-II's. In fact, FIVE of my own customers have. Complete brutal negligence on the part of the shooter! However, no Savage shooter has ever been injured by this horrible misuse. The strength of the 10ML-II has saved the skinny butts of many "ramrod shooters" again and again."

Related:

This is what a 110 HS 338 Lapua Magnum looks like when you leave a CLEANING ROD in the barrel (after using it to knock out stuck brass) and touch off another round...

Basic Member
    A buddy of mine forgot to take the ram rod out of the barrel after loading his MLII a couple of weeks ago. Shot the rod 100 yards and destroyed it, But no damage to the gun.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

corgiman

Unhappy Final Determination by Savage .. ramrod fired from 10ML-II ruined it beyond repair

Savage called last week to say that they had made "two attempts to rebarrel, but could not target it."

They went on to say that because the 10ML-II is no longer made they could not replace it, but they very generously gave me a credit to pick from their current line. They said they were making this replacement because of their warranty. I had made it very clear in my cover letter that this was entirely by fault.

Savage has been very generous to me.

I will miss my 10ML-II.

Wow! Way to go Savage!

!0 ML

Did they return the Gun to you?.

Welcome - but note your question was to someone who hasn't been around for 4-1/2 years and probably will never answer you.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik