Thread: Trued barrel nuts

Basic Member

Trued barrel nuts

So are the trued barrel nuts that much better than the standard ones? I was going to order a trued nut and a ground recoil lug. But I am getting impatient, and was thinking about ordering the ground lug and regular notched nut from the McGowen outlet. I see Jim NSS has the trued nuts and there like $20 more for those than the standard ones. What has been yalls experience with them?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    $20 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing the connection between the nut and lug is "true". ;-)

sinman
    I true the barrel nut when I am truing actions.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    I true the barrel nut when I am truing actions.
    Will it help any to have a trued barrel nut on an action that has not been trued or is this just doing the job half way?

sinman
    You might be fixing some of the problem but truing everything is the way to do it. You also have a bolt and receiver face that isn't completely true so just replacing 2 of the 4 items is really only going half way. Also note that not all "ground" recoil lugs are actually flat. Those should be inspected before install too.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    You might be fixing some of the problem but truing everything is the way to do it. You also have a bolt and receiver face that isn't completely true so just replacing 2 of the 4 items is really only going half way. Also note that not all "ground" recoil lugs are actually flat. Those should be inspected before install too.
    Thanks much for the quick reply and the very helpful information.

Basic Member
    Hmm I'm planning on getting both guns timed and trued at some point but not in the near future. For $20 I'll just get the trued one for now. I'll check the new lug when it gets here to verify it flat.