Thread: New to f class

Luke45

New to f class

Hey guys, I'm toying with the idea of entering an f class shoot at some point after some practice, thinking about getting ahold of some targets and doing a practice match by my self at say 600 yards. I have a custom 243 I built that I think could shoot well enough to be competive. What type of score should I shoot for out of 15 shots before I could could be competitive? What's considered at decent score ?

JCalhoun
    F-Class uses a 1moa 10 ring and .5moa X ring. Staying in the 8 ring will keep you competitive.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    F-Class uses a 1moa 10 ring and .5moa X ring. Staying in the 8 ring will keep you competitive.
    Thank you Sir

JCalhoun
    You're welcome.

Basic Member
    Note that shooting a .243 automatically moves you to the F-Open side. I've seen a lot of 580-590+ scores with over 50% of shots being X's even in only the 2 matches I've joined in on. I've learned that you can have a great performing rifle, but if you don't reload your own ammo it makes it very difficult to stay competitive!

A solid Bipod or rest is required as well as a rear bag that will allow the rifle to sit like a rock with your crosshairs as close to motionless as possible. After my first 3x600 match I instantly realized that I needed to make my shooting platform more stable. After the first 3x1000 I realized I definitely needed to get into reloading as the Factory ammo wasn't pushing the rounds fast enough to stay consistent. I used a buddies reloads on the final round and my score increased immensely. Also realized the slight better glass wouldn't hurt as I would then beable to see the scoring rings for better hold off calculations.

JCalhoun
    Clarity is way more important than magnification. A very clear 10 X scope will be more competitive than a blurry 50 X scope.

Luke45
    Thanks for the input guys. I have a vortex PST 6x24 and yes I handload all my ammo. Went to te reange today and got the finishing touches on handloads and printed some impressive groups at 100 and 200 yards. Will take it out to 600 for the first time this comming weekend an see what it can do! It held between 1/4 and 1/2 Moa today so we will see, 600 is a lot differnt then 200

At 600, wind doping will make or break you.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    600 isn't bad 1000 is where it gets real tricky!

Luke45
    Thanks guys, Ill test it out saturday and see what happens!

Basic Member
    Another tip from my first experience while it's on my mind. Every shot may have different conditions and different wind. If the changes are minor learn to hold off with your reticle. My first match I spent to much time trying to put the settings on the scope and kept going left right left on the target because of how often the conditions were changing. When you focus on changing scope settings you lose focus on how the conditions are changing. I got into the X ring then if the condition changes were minor I worked my holds, if they changed dramatically sometimes (range is in a valley) the wind would switch directions 180 degrees.

Luke45
    Did a 15 shot practice round at 600 this morning, first guns been on paper passed 200 yards. 149 7x.

JCalhoun
    Cool.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Cool.
    should i try a match out? my Rifle weights about 11 pounds and i shoot off a bipod. what match would you suggest?

Basic Member
    Go for it. Never expect to win a match you enter, go to shoot, learn, and experience yiu can only get better and really it's just a great time.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Go for it. Never expect to win a match you enter, go to shoot, learn, and experience yiu can only get better and really it's just a great time.
    Is there a place i can check on where the matches are being held? or do you just check local ranges?

Basic Member
    Google locql F-Class matches. I eventually found stuff available locally or that I was willing to drive for.