Thread: Need alittle assistance if possible!

tacticalj

Need alittle assistance if possible!

Ok, my question is there different sear springs, as far as weight or tension, and if so can this be changed without making the rifle not function properly. I realize that there will be some changes in the function of the action, but i want to know if it can be lightened to help the bolt lift, without negatively impacting the operation and firing. I guess i'm never satisfied with the operation. Did a Bolt Lift Kit and then worked on my trigger screws and have helped it some, but comparing it to my buddies Rem700, quite frankly there is no comparison on how smooth his bolt is to mine. However, i have a factory (as far as i know) trigger that we spent some time on today and he is really impressed with it. Got it down to about 3.5lbs of trigger pull, however, that was checked with a fish scale! Anyways it is much better and it seems to have helped my bolt lift as well. I'm curious and thought somebody here would surely know or has tried this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Need alittle assistance if possible!

which trigger do you have?

an old pre accutrigger you can replace the wire on the side with a pc of thinner piano wire(think it is .041" but not 100%).
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

tacticalj

yeah it's an older model, no accutrigger.

Here ya go. This is in the FAQ in this section.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,19414.0.html
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Kelly

possum1

I believe he is asking about the SEAR spring not the trigger spring. The .040 trigger spring will really help the pull weight. I have alway's wondered if a person could change the SEAR spring, looks like that would really help the bolt lift.

Basic Member

The sear return spring has nothing to do with the bolt lift or trigger pull.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

tacticalj

really? It looks as if that spring could be made a little lighter, not a bunch, it would help reduce the amount of tension the sear has on the trigger, thus when recocking or closing the bolt, it would take a little tension off. I was messing with my trigger and was thinking about that. However, i would assume that sharpshooter knows what he is talking about and maybe it just not worth the time. I may have to experiment alittle thow as i'm waiting on parts and optics for the gun ;D

Lightening the sear spring will likely give you a whole set of NEW problems.
    Kelly

tacticalj

I've been contemplating what that could lead to and that is why i posted it. I do not have alot of smithing experience and did not know where it would cause the gun to still fire, not fire, etc.