Thread: Barrel suggestion please

scottkr

Barrel suggestion please

I would like to change the barrel on my 12FV in .22-250 to something a little lighter, for carrying reasons. Would like a 24" barrel, something between a sporter weight and varmint weight. Looking at E R Shaw's heavy sporter. From what I can figure off of their web site it would cost me about $198. What are your thoughts? Is there someone more knowledgable that has a better idea. That price range seems to just about fit but want some input. Thanks in advance!

ICUDIEN

Re: Barrel suggestion please

So do you want to go to a heavy sporter then or a Sproter? Sounds like that ER barrel would be a good deal, I have one on my AR and it shoots .5s to .75s. and it's not a target barrel either.

scottkr

I'd like something between sporter and varmint. Some mfg's may call it a #4 contour possibly, depending on the vendor. I guess my question is beside E R Shaw, who would be some other sources for a ready fit Savage barrel in about this price range. I have considered just calling NSS and buying a sporter barrel and being done with it. :-\

mag contour would be another name.
    you shooting bullets in the 50/55gr area? that is the A&B preference.
    current barrel shoot well? you could check into having it recoutoured.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

ICUDIEN

But think I would rather have a ER Shaw then a A&B but I also have experience with the ER to.

scottkr

Blue- Yep that's the weight range. Currently using Sierra 52gr HPBT Match. Considering dropping to 50gr V Max. Barrel shoots just fine. Just would like to try to lose a little weight for a 300-400 yd trek with e caller, sticks, seat, and whatever else.

The mag contour barrel at 26" still has some weight to it. Since your only looking for a barrel in the 24" range, take a look at the Shilen #3 contour. Remember, the muzzle diameter is dependent on the finish length. The mag contour barrel will be slightly larger (at the muzzle) cut at 24" versus one at 26"

Sinman made me a 6mm Rem barrel at 23" with the #3 contour. I think it's about perfect for a calling rifle. If I get a chance, I'll snap some pics for you later this evening.

scottkr

This will be a calling rifle. Shilen sounds kinda expensive and I'm trying to do this while trying to get back to work so cost is a concern right now. I'd love to see pictures. As you can see from my Sunday post, I figured out how to post pictures.

tinkerer

Factory stock sporter barrel, maybe shortened? See NSS listing?

Larry
    Tinkerer

Shilen sounds kinda expensive and I'm trying to do this while trying to get back to work so cost is a concern right now.
    Sorry, not speaking specifically about Shilen barrels....just what they call a #3 contour. Contours from different barrel manufacturers can vary slightly. Say a Pac-Nor #3 may not be the same as a Shilen #3 contour - they actually might be, that was just an example.

Anywho, here's some pics. Sorry for the crappy lighting!!!

*Left to right for the above pics: 22" stevens sporter, 23" Sinman #3shilen, 26" ERshaw mag sporter, 26" Mcgowen #4 Shilen

*Two pics above show Sinman #3 Shilen next to McGowen #4 Shilen contours (#3 is the shorter barrel)

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by ICUDIEN
    But think I would rather have a ER Shaw then a A&B but I also have experience with the ER to.
    LOL who make the A&B for midway?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor