Thread: Looking for 2800fps in .308

aka:Cliff

Looking for 2800fps in .308

Hi,

I'm trying to duplicate a Magtech load in .308.

They run a 150gr bullet and a 91/2 Primer but no powder data. (special blend)
    Stated 2800 fps, and I get the best accuracy with them.

Wondering if anyone's loaded to this?

I'm using a short barrel Hog Hunter with a Smith Ent. Brake on it.

Thanks,

Basic Member
    check it out http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp lots of loads will go to 2800 with the 150gr bullet.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

No data @ 200 yds yet btw.

Thanks Earl.

I guess a good nights sleep helps.
    Looking again at the data, I've been looking at the low side data and not further over at the max load.

/sigh

Basic Member
    Cliff I would not assume 2800 fps to be the magic ingredient to give you the best accuracy. I suggest you choose a proven powder such as Varget, 4064, RL15 and do a ladder / OCW test starting at 42.0 grains and work up in 0.3 increments to define the nodes for that combination in your barrel; then you will know for sure. Google "OCW" to obtain a full description of the procedure; it's simple and fast and gets you the most "bang for the buck". You should find a couple of nodes at approx 3% difference in powder so you can choose either the slower or faster one based on your needs for refinement.

Hi Charlie,

I've used the process before but will look at it again.

Thought I was doing good, but having a short barrel, and the muzzle jumping so much, I thought THAT was my accuracy issue.
    It's a plastic stock (hate it) so it has no weight.

It has not been as fun to shoot as I would have thought, so far.

I just picked up some Varget but haven't emptied all the cases yet.

Basic Member
    I have a couple of Choate Tactical stocks, one on 223 Hog Hunter and the other on 308. Like any good stock, they really make it more fun and easier to achieve consistency. I have a lightweight 308 Savage for hunting in a Boyds thumbhole stock, and it has worse recoil than my standard weight 300 win mag hunter so I know what you mean!

I'll have to look at those.

Thanks Charlie.

Basic Member
    44grs of IMR 4064 pushes 175 SMKs at 2700+ in a 26" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    44grs of IMR 4064 pushes 175 SMKs at 2700+ in a 26" barrel
    I made the mistake of buying a short barrel. 20"

Basic Member
    Keep in mind that most factory loads are tested in a 24" barrel. So you're probably not getting 2800fps.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Keep in mind that most factory loads are tested in a 24" barrel. So you're probably not getting 2800fps.
    INTERESTING you say that !!!

I've taken the cronograph out and check factory loads & all my reloads.
    The FACTORY rounds are all at 2800 FPS, & my reloads loaded to 2800 FPS crono @ 27xx.

Go figure.
    Have not been able to crono the magnum primer vs non- mag primer (same load) -Yet.

For my 20" 10PC-SR... a S155MK (2156) over 45.2gn I4895 in FGMM brass lit by a R9.5 primer would pretty consistently do ~2830fps, both according to the chrono (MagnetoSpeed) and elevation drop @ distance.

YMMV,

Monte

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    For my 20" 10PC-SR... a S155MK (2156) over 45.2gn I4895 in FGMM brass lit by a R9.5 primer would pretty consistently do ~2830fps, both according to the chrono (MagnetoSpeed) and elevation drop @ distance.

YMMV,

Monte
    Good info, I've been using Winchester primers (with a few duds in various batches) I might just have to switch primers to the 9.5's.
    -saying I can find them locally.

The_Agent_
    You could also look at the Hodgdon superformance powder, I've heard of people getting crazy speeds outta it

I don't think Superformance has loads listed for the 308. Try CFE223,it's fast in mine.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

That Magtech ammo never shot well for me out of any of the 3 308s I had. I used them for plinking ammo, because they were not good groupers at 100 and worse past that. I would think most anything you load up would group better than that.

What bullet are you planning on loading? A buddy has had decent results in his Garand with the Hornady FMJ cannalured bullets.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

I'll look at both.

Hodgdon superformance is not for .308 from what I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by richhelton View Post
    That Magtech ammo never shot well for me out of any of the 3 308s I had. I used them for plinking ammo, because they were not good groupers at 100 and worse past that. I would think most anything you load up would group better than that.

What bullet are you planning on loading? A buddy has had decent results in his Garand with the Hornady FMJ cannalured bullets.
    Heh,
    150gr, 168 right now.

I chuckle because it's what I can find around town.

I would definitely consider buying mail order in bulk, to save you some cash. If you're only target shooting, check out Palma bullets. They are generally a little spendy, but they are in the weight range you want and are used out to 1,000yds in Palma matches. You may have an issue hitting 2,800fps safely in a shorter barrel.

I'm not reloading 308 right now, but Varget and RE-15 were good performers for me in the past.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.