Thread: Savage MkII GL

Sinkhole

Savage MkII GL

Hey all, I just picked up my 1st Savage and my first rimfire in about a decade. It's hard to be left handed and find a descent rimfire bolt gun. I walked into my LGS and noticed it on the rack. It's unusual to see anything left handed. I looked it over and went home. I really wasn't looking to buy a new rifle. Well I kept thinking about it all night and I did want something inexpensive and fun to shoot. So went back on Wednesday morning and bought it. I then decided I wanted to put the Redfiled Revolution 2-7x33 scope that currently lived on my Marlin 336 on it so I promptly order some Warne steel bases for it. I can't wait for the bases to arrive. I want to get this setup and hit the range on Wednesday, weather permitting. I have a feeling this will be a great little shooter.

Looks good! And the bolt handle is on the correct side!!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Fiddler
    Congrats!
    I can't tell from the photo whether or not this rifle possesses an Accutrigger.
    If not, I'd suggest this easy trigger modification: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=46774
    I did this shim job on my MK-II GL and it made a huge difference. Another easy homemade improvement was free-floating the barrel by sanding the inside of the forearm.
    While I'm certainly grateful to Savage for remembering that left-handed shooters exist out there, it's somewhat of a shame that they are the only manufacturer to provide southpaws a reasonably-priced .22 bolt rifle.
    Shame on the rest!

It has an accutrigger, custom camouflaged to match his carpet.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

fartsinpublic
    Since it has an AccuTrigger, I would recommend the Apachee Trigger: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=520772

apacheetrigger@yahoo.com

Cycler
    How about shooting the rifle first before planning any trigger changes? You might find the Accutrigger quite satisfactory. If not, there is time to make changes after you know what you have.

I had a MkII GL and the Accutrigger could be adjusted down to 2.5 pounds which was plenty low for a rifle of that type.

I also have a Mk II BTVLS (heavy barrel, thumbhole stock, stainless steel) and the Accutrigger would not go below 3 pounds so I installed the Rifle Basix SAV-RAT and it is reliable down to 1-1/2 pounds but this is more of a target rifle and I would not take it hunting with a trigger that light.

Sinkhole
    I'm waiting for my scope bases to arrive on Tuesday. Then the scope goes on and off to the range for sight in on Wednesday, weather permitting. I'm totally gonna put about 100-200 rnds through it before I decide if I wanna do anything to it at all. I may just leave it as is and put the money towards ammo. After all it is a basic rifle.

Sinkhole
    Scope mounts arrived a day early. WooHoo. Got my Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 all mounted up. Now I just gotta get to the range either tomorrow or Wednesday and get it all sighted in. Let the fun begin.

Banned
    I know this is an old thread, I am bench rest shooting these days, love the Acu trigger but the 1.5 setting is what works for me on the big guns.

I am interested in the MKII with its heavier barrel to match up with that shooting but am not keen on buying a gun just to get a better trigger.

Any idea why 2.5 lb on the acu trigger for the MKII and views on how usable it is vs the 1.5 one.

I gather is a whole different part number than the large rifle one and you could not get the light sear?

Banned
    Phew, quite the write up, thank you. All positive.

Does anyone like the original trigger?