Thread: talk me down

talk me down

from all the reading i have done, it seems that the toughest guns to scope are break action piston air rifles. meaning, they destroy even high quality magnum rifle scopes quickly. so it would seem to me that air rifle scopes are built the toughest….? i know most have a limited parallax setting, but there are some with an adjustable objective- shouldn't these be the toughest built scopes there are? and capable of shooting from 10 meters (whatever meters are) and infinity yards?

it would seem to me that air rifle scopes are built the toughest….?
    They should be but that doesn't mean all are.

Piston air rifles, shot guns and semi auto rifles are very hard on scopes. Muzzle brakes also increase stress on scopes. I called Nikon and asked them about it. They said that their Ninon ProStaff 4x was "solid enough to handle the hardest recoil." I bought a 4x for my M1A and it never failed to keep zero. My Nikon ProStaff 4-9x40 has performed well on a magnum with a brake and an AR.

Basic Member
    Seems like I read Hawke scopes were designed for air guns, and the Sidewinder model has been used for long range and has gotten some fantastic reviews; of course being a lower price scope it has some not-so-favorable which seems par for the course for scopes in this category.

I have always used Swift scopes on my air rifles, then started using them on my rimfire and centrefire rifles, and has worked out very well for me.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

pitsnipe
    I understood that it isn't the recoil that is the problem. Its the DIRECTION of the MULTIPLE recoil that is the problem. Both rearward and forward. It is the combined forces that tear down NON air rifle scopes. They are built to sustain the forces of the compression spring/break action air rifles. Don't know how they would work on something much bigger than a rim fire .22.

Snipe

When ever I have sighting in problems, and suspect the scope might be the problem, and not the load the scope I have used the most,
    is an air rifle scope that has been on and off more rifles I can't even count, and it has been on everything from a 223 to a 338 Edge.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    When ever I have sighting in problems, and suspect the scope might be the problem, and not the load the scope I have used the most,
    is an air rifle scope that has been on and off more rifles I can't even count, and it has been on everything from a 223 to a 338 Edge.

Dean

Impressive. Didn't know one could take that punishment. Learn something new every day.

Snipe

The reason I don't keep it on any rig, is because it so scratched and dinged it is almost painful to look at, but I will never get rid of it and am very thankful for all the headaches it has saved me, when it finally gives up the ghost I think I will give it a proper burial.LOL

Dean