Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No firing pin protrusion on bolt

Southernfryedyankee

No firing pin protrusion on bolt

I just received my rifle and when I cycle the bolt, there is no firing pin protrusion at all. I took the bolt apart and there IS a firing pin in there. What can I do?

Re: No firing pin protrusion on bolt

When you pull the bolt back you are cocking it. You won't have any protrusion at that time. You have to release the cocking piece to see the protrusion.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Southernfryedyankee

I did and there is no protrusion. I have the barrel off of the action so I can see the cocking and decocking and there is no protrusion at all

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee
    I did and there is no protrusion. I have the barrel off of the action so I can see the cocking and decocking and there is no protrusion at all
    Did you uses a long action bolt head instead a SA?

Bill

Southernfryedyankee

Not to my knowledge. I received the rifle from Cowboyarcher and he said it was a 300 WSM it looked like the complete rifle but I wouldnt know how to check to see if the correct bolt head was used

Southernfryedyankee

I just compared 2 bolt heads the 1 on the new rifle I just received and the 1 on my 10FCP and the bolt head on the rifle in question is definitaly longer without a doubt

Controlled feed bolt head?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Southernfryedyankee

I dont believe so, it looks exactly the same as on my 7mag and 300 win mag and they are push feeds. I believe that it has the wrong bolthead on it altogether. I have a short action bolthead coming from SSS within the next couple of days.

Does it have a standing ejector? or is it a typical plunger ejector?

Southernfryedyankee

Here are the pics, SS bolt has the bolthead in question

[img width=600 height=450]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/DSCN5076Medium.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/DSCN5077Medium.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/DSCN5078Medium.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/nylouie516/DSCN5079Medium.jpg[/img]

Is it a newer center feed? If was an older WSM it would have a slot for the standing ejector. I dont see an ejector at all from the pictures but the hole is there.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's definatly a pushfeed bolt head

Southernfryedyankee

So its definitately the wrong bolt head right? It was an older WSM I think as it is a small shank

Not sure on the earliest ones. Mine are large shank with controlled feed and standing ejectors non acutrigger. Those are second generation I guess you would say. So it's a stagger feed non acutrigger?
    Ask Cowboy whats up with it. I don't want to give you any bad avice.
    Bill may chime in again. He knows a boatload more than I do about the different bolt heads.

Southernfryedyankee

Centerfeed (I believe, has DBM, dunno if that makes a difference or not) WITH accutrigger

OK, well that makes a difference as far as the ejector being plunger type and no controlled round feed. As for the length I would take a guess that the magnum bolt head could very well be longer by design but again thats just a guess. As mine are all older models I don't know all the subtle differences with the newer centerfeed ones. Sorry I could not be of more help. Could just as well be the wrong pin.

Southernfryedyankee

I truly thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. All of you :-)

Basic Member

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,10416.0.html

These are the different bold heads. You have the new short action heavy magnum (9/16" lugs), I believe, measure the lugs to be sure.

I never noticed the firing pin protrusion with that rifle before I sent it off.

It seems that using that bolt head in a SA requires a longer firing pin (read the bottom of Sharpshooter's post).

My apologies Louis, didn't realize that!

I'm sending you an email directly,

Adam
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Southernfryedyankee

No apologies needed my friend I am not angry by ANY means :-)

Basic Member

I edited that last post, wanna measure your lugs to be sure?

Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Southernfryedyankee

The lugs on that current bolt head are 1/2"

Basic Member

Then the only thing I can figure is I put a LA bolt head in there, that won't work!

Can you disasseble the bolt and see if the distance between the bolt head retaining pin hole looks like a SA or a LA? I don't know the spec for either, maybe some one has it. . .

Does anyone know of another distinction, or configuration I am missing?

Looks to me like you have the correct bolthead and baffle(according to that link above), and just do not have the longer firing pin that is needed.

This was probably just a standard short action that was swapped over to a wsm action, which is why it is also small shank.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

BillPa

Here is Fred's post on the bolt heads in the FAQs.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,10416.0.html

Bill

Basic Member

Yup, that action started as a 243, then went to 223, and then over to WSM, but was never fired. Seems like it was just a short firing pin!

PEI Rob

Fred makes a longer firing pin stop for short heads in a long action.
    Ask him if he makes a shorter one. I think there is enough room but never needed to find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast