Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Boyds Gunstocks now Available for the Savage B.MAG

rsh4364

Heard from Boyds today,the engineer is supposed to contact me sometime today.

Matt99
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Looking at the end of your stock and I see what looks like the exact same finish issue my stock had, fine cracks in the finish only highly noticeable in bright light and at certain angles. Looks like your camera flash made it show up, so take a closer look at your stock and then contact boyds'
    You don't think that it's just the laminate?

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    Heard from Boyds today,the engineer is supposed to contact me sometime today.
    Just got off phone with Wilson an engineer with Boyds,they want my stock back for evaluation,It seems Savage gave them some rifles to work with and then made some changes.He is thinking there might be a gen.1 and a gen.2,but not sure how to determine which is which.But they are currently working with Savage as Savage wants to start selling the B-Mag with the Boyds stocks.Really a nice conversation, not like a return call to make customer happy.If you have same problems pm Jen at Boyds,if we help them they will help us.
    Last edited by rsh4364; 02-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt99 View Post
    You don't think that it's just the laminate?
    NO...if you look at the picture you posted from the rear of your gun the white cracks that are visible, they cover more than one color so it is the finish issue they definitely had. I also see it in the picture of your stocks fore end also.

Matt99

Cool

Just got off phone with Wilson an engineer with Boyds,they want my stock back for evaluation,It seems Savage gave them some rifles to work with and then made some changes.He is thinking there might be a gen.1 and a gen.2,but not sure how to determine which is which.But they are currently working with Savage as Savage wants to start selling the B-Mag with the Boyds stocks.Really a nice conversation, not like a return call to make customer happy.If you have same problems pm Jen at Boyds,if we help them they will help us.
    hes the one that called me as well but I was busy each time. I understand that we have a defective product and that the should replace it, but I cannot see what sending it in will do if they are still sending out defective ones. I'm hoping that they will offer to send us correctly fitting ones or re-mill ours. Makes me wish I wouldn't have done so much work to correct it!

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    NO...if you look at the picture you posted from the rear of your gun the white cracks that are visible, they cover more than one color so it is the finish issue they definitely had. I also see it in the picture of your stocks fore end also.
    i didn't see any in mine but I exactly didn't buy a laminate stock for a perfect wood grain. With the laminate being essentially a skin, I would assume that the sealant that they put over it had some drying issues or something but the stock is still as strong as it should be. Irregardless, I would assume that since it is not a "natural imperfection" that they would fix it for free/replace

Basic Member
    At some angles, I can see some cracks but I am not going to complain about it. I cannot understand what is going on at Boyds that my rimfire classic stock allows the safety to function but most with the thumbhole models have issues

stephenlnoe
    I received the rimfire hunter and it took a lot of whittling to get the magazine to seat. Also the safety is pretty tight. I think the cad design needs to be updated for the bmag. It does float the barrel but with pretty close tolerance. I've got pics but nowhere to upload and I don't see how to attach pics to post.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenlnoe View Post
    I received the rimfire hunter and it took a lot of whittling to get the magazine to seat. Also the safety is pretty tight. I think the cad design needs to be updated for the bmag. It does float the barrel but with pretty close tolerance. I've got pics but nowhere to upload and I don't see how to attach pics to post.
    photobucket, imageshack and imgur work To post an image you copy the url with the ,jpg or whatever file type, on photobucket I use the direct link for the picture. Then you can type it out use [ IMG ] before the address of your picture without the spaces between the brackets and IMG and then you use the brackets around /IMG at the end of the pictures address. There is a small picture frame icon in the reply area that does it for you

I had an issue with the mag fitting and just filed down the mag catch until it worked

rona
    Could you show with a picture where you filed the mag catch? Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rona View Post
    Could you show with a picture where you filed the mag catch? Thanks

Not the best pic and the area I filed is still rough in the pic

rona
    I wonder if this problem is being addressed by Boyds or if it is a problem with either "early " or "late" runs of this model? If there is a split in the serial numbers It might be a good idea to send Boyds a serial number to eliminate a potential problem.

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by rona View Post
    I wonder if this problem is being addressed by Boyds or if it is a problem with either "early " or "late" runs of this model? If there is a split in the serial numbers It might be a good idea to send Boyds a serial number to eliminate a potential problem.
    This topic came up in my conservation with Boyds. mine is J193936

rona
    Mine is J235912 I would have thought they would request the serial number if there was a difference. I wonder where the "split" was?

Basic Member
    If someone wants to keep track, I have a rimfire classic stock on J201427 and only issue was the mag latching, filed catch on mag and problem solved

This rifle has the large ejector, the one I bought originally was J037792 and had the narrow ejector

rsh4364
    From what I gathered from conversation with Boyds they were not aware of any changes from original run.If it wasn't for the issues with the safety I would have dealt with other things.This is my 4th Boyds stock and will buy again.

Matt99
    With it being the first year, I wouldn't be surprised if savage changed the gun. There is a disclaimer stating this on the site

with boyds making the stocks for savage, it would seem as if they would have no trouble getting an action to test fit.

They(boyds) generally make a great product so I'll keep the blame on savage so far

Matt99
    Ill update my older post. I should have realized this at the time but shimming the rear (without adjusting the front lug) just tilts the barrel down...duh! I didnt want to shim the front as it would cause more mag issues so I just used a dremel and wood dowel with 600grit and opened up the barrel channel a bit. Mounted a scope and will shoot it tomorrow. Wish me luck as thats all that seems to help with this gun.

danjurista
    My b-mag is J102294, my classic stock is on the way back to Boyds for the magazine not being able to latch in.I talked to Wilson and he had me do some sanding to the inside of the mag well, no real help. Allso my safety worked hard.

rona
    Mine is the Prairie Hunter style and they called last Monday and asked if they could delay shipping for a couple weeks as there was a problem. I said take as long as you like as its to cold to play with it anyway. Probably the best idea since I don't want to have to modify things.
    I have to admit owning a B-Mag has taught me patience between faulty rifle, no ammo, etc then my big plan to go to SD for prairie dogs has pretty well evaporated because most of them were either poisoned or got the plague and died off.
    Oh well, it will look pretty when I get the stock.

stephenlnoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy B View Post
    photobucket, imageshack and imgur work To post an image you copy the url with the ,jpg or whatever file type, on photobucket I use the direct link for the picture. Then you can type it out use [ IMG ] before the address of your picture without the spaces between the brackets and IMG and then you use the brackets around /IMG at the end of the pictures address. There is a small picture frame icon in the reply area that does it for you

I had an issue with the mag fitting and just filed down the mag catch until it worked
    Pics:

I had to whittle out the magazine well in order to make the magazine fit in there. I think Boyd's owes me another stock if they retool the bmag cutout. This stock clearly is not a drop in stock for me.

Pic of the mag inserted after some woodworking.

Clearance of the barrel. I ran a paper down to the receiver and it is floating, however, when the barrel gets hot it's going to expand back around the receiver. It really shouldn't make that much difference in my opinion. The whole 'harmonics' argument about accuracy with this gun seems ridiculous. It seems more like this gun is hold sensitive and barrel break in is longer than people think. Remember, those guys who write stories about the gun in magazines got guns that were well broken in and not new from the factory.

No problem with the cutout for the bolt lever. Now, the bolt's function of being able to lower the bolt handle before a round is fully chambered is questionable from Savage IMO.

44 Yards 20 Gr 2 'fliers'. The range where I shoot says it's a 50 yrd range but it's not. It's really 44 yrds.

100 yrds sitting supported (more fliers). This is a true 100 yrds. with an 8 round magazine. I hate these dirty bird splatter targets. Do yourself a favor and get the 'shoot n c' targets. You can barely see .17 cal rounds at 100 yrds on the dirty birds.

100 yrds off hand unsupported. I decided to pick the gun up and shoot standing for a clip. Here's what I got. Now, I qualified expert with an M16 (back in the day), 9mm, colt 45 and spend a good deal of time shooting pellet (artillery hold) and shotgun. This gun should shoot tighter than it does. It is getting better over time but, like most people, I was hoping for a great shooter right out of the box.

I'm still breaking it in. I know people have this whole routine of shoot, clean, shoot, clean, shoot cleans etc. I like to put a couple hundred rounds through it then do the shoot, clean, shoot routine. It is getting better but not anywhere near as good as i expected. I thought the Boyd's stock would do it some good but I'm somewhat dissatisfied with the fit especially the magazine well.

2c

Steve (the rabbit getting, hog tracking turkey busting guy from Indiana (who now lives in Texas).

rsh4364
    Still have not received shipping label for return of stock,will call again Tuesday,maybe Wilson forgot to transfer memo. Probably pretty busy.

Basic Member
    Yea, I don't believe in damping the harmonic's either............but my rubber dampener works great !
    100 yds.

danjurista
    I to had issues with a b-mag stock a classic in nutmeg. The magazine would not latch, I was allso talking to Wilson. He had me do some sanding on the magazine well, no real help. It took a couple of days with boyds to get back to me with a shipping label to return the stock. My b-mag was serial # j102294 it was made on August 23 2013. I let everyone know how I make out once they get the stock back and check it out! It just went out today.

stephenlnoe
    I spoke to Boyd's today too. The person I talked to acknowledged the problem with the mag not fitting in the mag well. I'm waiting for a call back from them. I like the look and feel of the rimfire hunter. I hope Boyd's comes through with better fitment. As it is now, it is not a drop in.

Basic Member
    2 hours later and a couple beers I have mine done I hope serial # J213590
    safety was not a issue, bolted in stock and it worked fine, had a slight issue with the clip but a couple passes with a file and it clipped in fine
    wasn't quit happy with the barrel off just a hair in the stock so I took it apart and did a little sanding and both sides have about the same gap now. had to modify my DIP trigger guard to get it to fit flat also. only small problem I have left I see is when the bolt is shut the knob touches the stock.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast