Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Boyds Gunstocks now Available for the Savage B.MAG

rsh4364

I agree,this is my 4th Boyds stock on a savage, 2 axis stocks and just got done putting a thumbhole on my 17HMR minutes ago,they all fit great.But this B-mag stock not right,I think they rushed it !

Matt99
    The Boyds tech called me twice today but I was busy at work. I'll see what he has to say tom

Basic Member
    I must have gotten lucky also, put my stock on tonight and no trouble other than the barrel is ever so slightly to the left, the safety works fine and I can latch the bolt down with just my thumb. the only real problem was the clip would not latch, but a couple strokes with a file along the lip and it snapped in ok.
    Haven't had time to mount my scope yet ( Tasco Varmiter 6-24x42mm )

Last edited by Lonewulf; 02-06-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    Is it a thumbhole model?
    Not a thumbhole, rimfire classic
    Only pic I have of it, for now

Crockett
    Does anyone have a thumbhole that bolted right up without any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Does anyone have a thumbhole that bolted right up without any problems?
    I did except for that barrel alignment thingy.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I did except for that barrel alignment thingy.

Dean
    And you tightened the rear screw to spec and your safety still works? mine will go off, but there is no way it's coming back! I can get it to work with 1.5 rotations of the threads,(nowhere near tight) any further and it goes forward but won't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    And you tightened the rear screw to spec and your safety still works? mine will go off, but there is no way it's coming back! I can get it to work with 1.5 rotations of the threads,(nowhere near tight) any further and it goes forward but won't come back.
    Same here, Crapola back to the drawing board, is there a fix I read though the 100 + posts, and did not find anything.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Crockett
    Same here, Crapola back to the drawing board, is there a fix I read though the 100 + posts, and did not find anything.

Dean
    I'm going to the hardware store now for a couple of small stainless washers to put on the inside and see if that will make the screw shorter.

sparky123321
    Boyd's has been great about my issues with their Bmag tacticool stock. They kept calling me until I was able to speak with them. They've offered to take it back, but for $100 I'll probably just tinker with it myself. I make my own BR and HBR stocks anyway, so I'm sure I'll be able to fix the mag and barrel alignment issues. I may even trim down the forearm a bit. I realize the stock has to be wide because of the width of the rotary mag, but I feel the forearm is way too wide for this little rifle and small diameter barrel.

Crockett
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Well it went together pretty good with just one added metric washer, torqueing the rear down first, then the front and I couldn't be happier. boyds' stocks just can't be beat, they look sweet!
    Last edited by Crockett; 02-07-2014 at 01:27 PM.

That's great news, thanks for doing the leg work.

Dean

Crockett
    ...!
    Last edited by Crockett; 02-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Crockett
    ...!
    Last edited by Crockett; 02-13-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Basic Member
    Crocket, it looks like your safety is plenty high above the stock, here is a pic of my safety

Here is a pic of my barrel in the stock

Is everyone using these things(stock pillars, escutcheons, whatever they want to call them) on the action screws?

Basic Member
    yes I used them on my classic stock, came out of the plastic with no trouble,
    are the o-rings on the barrel really supposed to help or just align the barrel straight in the stock?

rsh4364
    Yes used fact.escutcheons in my thumbhole.Another thing, check your safety,mine with the rear action screw barely snug would fire with safety on.I think Im gonna send mine back.wont be getting scope til April anyways.
    Last edited by rsh4364; 02-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Crockett
    Yes on the escutcheons, one small metric washer inside so you can tighten the rear without affecting the safety, then you can tighten the front and hopefully your barrel will sit in the center of the barrel channel on the stock.

rsh4364
    Gonna call Friday,might just trade for the prairie hunter model,really like the thumbhole though!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    yes I used them on my classic stock, came out of the plastic with no trouble,
    are the o-rings on the barrel really supposed to help or just align the barrel straight in the stock?
    Some say the o rings helped with accuracy but I didn't see much(if any) improvement. I might try a piece of rubber inner tube under the barrel to see if it helps as the barrel is really flexible

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy B View Post
    Some say the o rings helped with accuracy but I didn't see much(if any) improvement. I might try a piece of rubber inner tube under the barrel to see if it helps as the barrel is really flexible
    Hey Jeremy, the o-rings will not with with a boyds due to the barrel channel dimensions of the stock. Try finding a piece of rubber that will just fit between the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the barrel channel. Not to thick that it will put upward pressure, but enough that it will contact the barrel and dampen vibrations. Also locate the rubber under the barrel where words Bmag is stamped on the top.
    That's what worked for me.

No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get that safety to work smoothly, and as much as I look a the area, I can not for the life of me see what they obstruction is, washers did not seem to make a difference.

Dean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    Hey Jeremy, the o-rings will not with with a boyds due to the barrel channel dimensions of the stock. Try finding a piece of rubber that will just fit between the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the barrel channel. Not to thick that it will put upward pressure, but enough that it will contact the barrel and dampen vibrations. Also locate the rubber under the barrel where words Bmag is stamped on the top.
    That's what worked for me.
    That is what I was thinking since being free floated in the Boyds hasn't been an improvement in how it shoots. A barrel clamp like the 10/22 has crossed my mind once and there is a gun show close by this weekend

Basic Member
    No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get that safety to work smoothly, and as much as I look a the area, I can not for the life of me see what they obstruction is, washers did not seem to make a difference.

Dean
    Does the safety work when the action is removed from the stock ? If so, take a small file and carefully dress all of the wood surfaces in the stock that maybe contacting the safety mechanism. Sometime its just a matter of squaring up a round corner.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy B View Post
    Crocket, it looks like your safety is plenty high above the stock, here is a pic of my safety

Here is a pic of my barrel in the stock

Is everyone using these things(stock pillars, escutcheons, whatever they want to call them) on the action screws?

Looking at the end of your stock and I see what looks like the exact same finish issue my stock had, fine cracks in the finish only highly noticeable in bright light and at certain angles. Looks like your camera flash made it show up, so take a closer look at your stock and then contact boyds'

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast