Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boyds Gunstocks now Available for the Savage B.MAG

Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    would you please post the link to their website.
    http://www.diproductsinc.com/

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by rsh4364 View Post
    Just got the email, my pepper thumbhole on the way. ordered 1-21-14,along with trig.guard and floor plate so I can get my thumbhole installed on my 17 hmr also..Tracking says it will be here Wed.and my Glades Armory bolt showed up today!
    Now we are supposed to get 10 more inches of snow Tuesday and Wednesday,doubt if stock shows up Wednesday!

Matt99
    I too had the crooked stock from the factory. I tried to bend it strait with a heat gun as I have others and it snapped in half with little force. I then ordered the Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole and tried to fit it...same as y'all. I put two washers on top of the pillars and filed down the mag about 3mm and it fits now. I tried sanding the stock with little luck with the mag or safety.

The stock came in rougher shape than I thought, gouges and scratches and then this fitment issue. Disappointed. I too waited on a CS callback as well. On a better note, this stock makes the bmag feel like a real gun now!

wtkshooter
    Very sad.

Matt99
    So here is the mag, sanded the clip almost 2mm with small bar file. No loading issues so far and no slop

so you can see where I had to inlet the stock with a woodcutting bit on a Dremel.

And where I sanded the channel for the trigger adjustment and safety

fix one thing but on to another. Slightly crooked and firmly touching the forend. This sucks

heres some of many gouges. And the stock fitted for now

pictures taken on a potato and posted on iPad so sorry for the crappiness.

Basic Member
    Would it work with a washer on the action screw instead of on top? I thought about shimming the front mag mount so it was lower before I filed the mag latch. I have the rimfire hunter stock and didn't have to use any washers

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt99 View Post
    I too had the crooked stock from the factory. I tried to bend it strait with a heat gun as I have others and it snapped in half with little force. I then ordered the Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole and tried to fit it...same as y'all. I put two washers on top of the pillars and filed down the mag about 3mm and it fits now. I tried sanding the stock with little luck with the mag or safety.

The stock came in rougher shape than I thought, gouges and scratches and then this fitment issue. Disappointed. I too waited on a CS callback as well. On a better note, this stock makes the bmag feel like a real gun now!
    I have posted this on other places:

Not that is NOT the problem. Like he said every B.Mag the stock orients to the left.

When you torque the front action screw 1st then the rear action screw it twists the action (to the left) or the stock (to the right).

If you snug or partially torque the front screw to say 25in/lbs then the rear to 50in/lbs (the actual spec) then the front to 50in/lbs it doesn't do this or it does it very very little.

I do not know if it effects POI I just know this procedure changes how the stock appears to be warped.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Matt99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy B View Post
    Would it work with a washer on the action screw instead of on top? I thought about shimming the front mag mount so it was lower before I filed the mag latch. I have the rimfire hunter stock and didn't have to use any washers
    Well if you put a washer on the action screw itself below the pillar, it just essentially makes the screw shorter. You are actually trying to push the action up out of the stock to gain clearance while still having a firm bed.

I attempted to shim the mag mount and to file the stock, but the stock is already thin there so this is the easiest fix. Plus, I'd rather screw up a $21 mag versus a $99 stock.

Matt99
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    I have posted this on other places:

Not that is NOT the problem. Like he said every B.Mag the stock orients to the left.

When you torque the front action screw 1st then the rear action screw it twists the action (to the left) or the stock (to the right).

If you snug or partially torque the front screw to say 25in/lbs then the rear to 50in/lbs (the actual spec) then the front to 50in/lbs it doesn't do this or it does it very very little.

I do not know if it effects POI I just know this procedure changes how the stock appears to be warped.
    i attempted that. No change

Basic Member
    i attempted that. No change
    By no change do you mean it still orients to the left or no POI change? Also for what it is worth this was done on a factory stock.

Matt99
    By no change do you mean it still orients to the left or no POI change? Also for what it is worth this was done on a factory stock.
    Still orients to the left. Gun is still unfired haha. Not looking forward to shooting it now after seeing these accuracy problems

Basic Member
    Matt, I will try and lend a little encouragement. 1st off Savage's spec of go/no go accuracy for the B.Mag is 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Ok maybe that isn't a tack driver per say but it is more than enough to take down a woodchuck, coyote, bobcat or a prairie dog.

Also bear in mind that when someone has a good experience with a company or product they tell under 5 people. A bad experience they tell 10 or more. Add that the internet can blow things up considerably.

Has Savage had some issue with the B.Mag, yes. Do they opening admit it, no. Do they take care of the consumer, YES.

My 1st B.Mag was an excellent shooter. Sub-MOA at 50yds & 100yds with 25gr ammo. Sometimes MOA or a little bigger at 100yd with 25gr buy always under 1.5"

20 grain was a different story. At 50yd it would shoot slightly over MOA to just under. At 100yd I could get MOA but mostly it was 1.5" or so.

The rifle is only going to shoot as good as the ammo. Hopefully this year or next there will be a non-Winchester branded/loaded 17WSM ammo OR that Winchester will start taking more care loading the ammo as the ammo crunch on 2013 winds down.

Until then, shoot it.

Basic Member
    Well if you put a washer on the action screw itself below the pillar, it just essentially makes the screw shorter. You are actually trying to push the action up out of the stock to gain clearance while still having a firm bed.

I attempted to shim the mag mount and to file the stock, but the stock is already thin there so this is the easiest fix. Plus, I'd rather screw up a $21 mag versus a $99 stock.
    I know some of the issues with the safety functioning was from not using the stock pillars from the plastic stock and the action screw went into the action too far and impeded the safety. Try this, remove the washers and put the action into the stock with the safety on, watch the safety when tightening the action screw, if you hold the action tight into the stock and see the safety lever raise when tightening the action screw, the screw is too long for the stock.

Matt99
    I know some of the issues with the safety functioning was from not using the stock pillars from the plastic stock and the action screw went into the action too far and impeded the safety. Try this, remove the washers and put the action into the stock with the safety on, watch the safety when tightening the action screw, if you hold the action tight into the stock and see the safety lever raise when tightening the action screw, the screw is too long for the stock.
    That's essentially what I did to find that the two washers allowed for the perfect height. I still do not think a shorter screw is the answer but rather the action being slightly higher in the stock. The safety is working properly now. Just threw a scope on there and will shoot it Friday.

I've got 20gr and 25gr so we will see. I already have more money into it than the cost of the gun so I am looking at it positively. I'll report back after shooting

wtkshooter
    Matt, I will try and lend a little encouragement. 1st off Savage's spec of go/no go accuracy for the B.Mag is 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Ok maybe that isn't a tack driver per say but it is more than enough to take down a woodchuck, coyote, bobcat or a prairie dog.

Also bear in mind that when someone has a good experience with a company or product they tell under 5 people. A bad experience they tell 10 or more. Add that the internet can blow things up considerably.

Has Savage had some issue with the B.Mag, yes. Do they opening admit it, no. Do they take care of the consumer, YES.

My 1st B.Mag was an excellent shooter. Sub-MOA at 50yds & 100yds with 25gr ammo. Sometimes MOA or a little bigger at 100yd with 25gr buy always under 1.5"

20 grain was a different story. At 50yd it would shoot slightly over MOA to just under. At 100yd I could get MOA but mostly it was 1.5" or so.

The rifle is only going to shoot as good as the ammo. Hopefully this year or next there will be a non-Winchester branded/loaded 17WSM ammo OR that Winchester will start taking more care loading the ammo as the ammo crunch on 2013 winds down.

Until then, shoot it.
    You are so full of crap.

Basic Member
    new to the site and have been reading a lot on the B-Mag, which I just got one last Thursday but haven't messed with it yet

Also have a Boyds Nutmeg Classic stock and want to make sure the DIP trigger guard will fit it ok Thanks

rsh4364
    Now we are supposed to get 10 more inches of snow Tuesday and Wednesday,doubt if stock shows up Wednesday!
    It actually showed up today,installed it and it has the safety and mag. issues.

Crockett
    It actually showed up today,installed it and it has the safety and mag. issues.
    SAME HERE...Safety, mag is a ***** to click in and barrel is slammed up on the left side of the barrel channel. I will be doing somebody elses job tomorrow.

rsh4364
    My barrel same way! Isnt this your second one?Let us now your fixes..

Crockett
    My barrel same way! Isnt this your second one?Let us now your fixes..
    At least the finish on this stock is good!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    SAME HERE...Safety, mag is a ***** to click in and barrel is slammed up on the left side of the barrel channel. I will be doing somebody elses job tomorrow.
    I must have the odd one, barrel is dead center and the safety works great(with the stock pillars from the plastic stock)

I must have the odd one, barrel is dead center and the safety works great(with the stock pillars from the plastic stock)

No one likes a show off.LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Crockett
    pictures or it didn't happen!

rsh4364
    Is it a thumbhole model?

If it shoots half decently, I can overlook the barrel being off center.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast