Thread: 64 Bottom Metal

mazda3gun

64 Bottom Metal

Anyone know the measurements for the 64's bottom metal/mag plate? OA length, width, thickness, hole-hole...etc.

The folks at DIP got some dollars of mine and I gave feedback on their fantastic products I upgraded my 64 with. I mentioned I wished they made a new bottom metal/mag plate and they actually emailed me back and asked what the measurements were because they have a prototype in the works.

I bet, if there are enough people that request it, we can get one produced regularly. I know the 64 is treated almost as an ugly duckling of Savage rimfires, but by George we can make it a swan! lol

So, rambling and hopes aside. What are the measurements??

fartsinpublic
    I can measure and scan a pattern tonight.

fartsinpublic
    Shoulda mentioned, the one I can measure is from a Tacticool stock'ed TR-SR 64.

wlleven
    That would be nice, real nice.

What would be great also, is having the two anchoring screws fit flush with the bottom plate, that would be a great touch, the head of the screws sticking out looks pretty cheap.

Even if the plate was a little on the thick side but had tapered edges to blend in with the stock, it would look like a real finished product.

wll

fartsinpublic
    The 64 TR-SR bottom metal is a 0.33" stamped plate with equally radiused ends and a bespoke stamped opening for the magazine cut-out, and elongated holes for the action screws (shows how much confidence they have in tolerances. LOL)

sending the pattern I pulled over to Bob @ DIP

fartsinpublic
    PM'd you guys (and Zoltron on RFC too)...

Quote Originally Posted by wlleven View Post
    What would be great also, is having the two anchoring screws fit flush with the bottom plate, that would be a great touch, the head of the screws sticking out looks pretty cheap.
    The stock plate is pretty thin. Not enough meat to countersink. If one goes with a thicker plate, then DIP's extended mag release or something similar would be a must. The stock mag release barely protrudes enough to get a good grip.

Quote Originally Posted by wlleven View Post
    Even if the plate was a little on the thick side but had tapered edges to blend in with the stock, it would look like a real finished product.
    Rounding over the edges might add a little cost for the process, but with flush screws, would set it apart. I would guess that the countersunk screws would hold the torque better (assuming they are centered and the holes are concentric with the action pillars)

mazda3gun
    You folks need to get out of my head! I've had these exact same thoughts.

There's no reason why the 64 can't be/isn't a great shooting semi 22!

I doubt there's much difference in your TR/SR in Tacticool than my standard 64 in Tupperware.

HotRod9mm
    Guys, I had a prototype made at the machine shop but have
    not had a chance to get back to the shop for personal reasons
    to get this started.

I made the magazine opening a little smaller then the factory
    but it still clears nicely. I have 2 of the TR-SR stocks available
    to work with.

The best fit would be to inlet the stock so the plate fits flush
    like the MKII and 93 plates we make. I'm working on Boyd's
    Gun Stocks to make the "64 Tacticool" stock(TR_SR) available
    to the public for those that want wood but have started with
    a synthetic, so call them!

I will be inletting one and fitting the plate soon.

This TR stock was inletted and has one of our modified 93 SS mag plates installed. Inletting took about 10mins.
    Modifying the plate took a bit longer

fartsinpublic
    Very nice!

(BTW, dibs on the next one)

LOL

mazda3gun
    I like it!
    HOOK US UP!!!!!!!!!!!

wlleven
    Hey !!!

I need two of them ;- )

wll

mazda3gun
    We're waiting too wlleven. No new news yet

fartsinpublic
    Hey all... Boyd's now has stocks for the 64...

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=8786

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post
    Hey all... Boyd's now has stocks for the 64...

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=8786
    WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

fartsinpublic
    So... Whatcha getting?

mazda3gun
    Too many options(only 4, but that's a lot for a gun with no aftermarket whatsoever) to decide. I like the plain ol Hunter for the 'classic' look, the Varmint Thumb 'cuz it looks more modern, and the SS Evo because it doesn't get much more free float than that! I would go for the Tacticool if they were more 'tactical', more AR-15ish/M4 type look. They look too much like factory Tupperware anyway.
    I'm more drawn to the Hunter and Varmint stocks cut for bull barrel, in the hopes of finding a FVSR or TRSR barrel to put on it, in Pepper color, naturally.

But, man o man, it's a relief to FINALLY have options! Thank you Boyd's and D.I.P.!!!

Basic Member
    I got my parts from DIP. Ordered the bottom metal, trigger guard, and bolt knob. Should have ordered the extended mag release but didn't. Super fast shipping as always. My boyds Evolution stock should be here Wednesday. I'm going for rediculous so I mounted an old bushnell banner 6-18x50 I had laying around on my 64FVSR. The scope is half the length of the rifle. I'll post up pics once it's all together.

mazda3gun
    Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    I got my parts from DIP. Ordered the bottom metal, trigger guard, and bolt knob. Should have ordered the extended mag release but didn't. Super fast shipping as always. My boyds Evolution stock should be here Wednesday. I'm going for rediculous so I mounted an old bushnell banner 6-18x50 I had laying around on my 64FVSR. The scope is half the length of the rifle. I'll post up pics once it's all together.
    It's probably gonna look ridiculously cool!
    I'll be getting bottom metal soon enough, just trying to convince my lady that I really do need a Boyd's stock for the 64. The extended charging handle and rail I've got were enough to please me!

Basic Member
    Well here it is. The stock takes the standard 10/110 trigger guard. The extended mag release is a must so I will be ordering that. Here's my ridiculous rifle

mazda3gun
    That is awesome!!!!!!!!