Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So whats the tally boys and girls?

So whats the tally boys and girls?

Two doe for me so far both taken with my mighty 25-06. Passed up a basket rack buck saturday that I might have shot last day.

So how did you all do?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Shotgun season is on here til Wednesday. So far a 140lb doe at 75yds, a 215lb'er at 160yds, and a 7pt Buck (maybe 120") at 75yds on the run through the trees. Still got 2 days to go, fingers crossed.

Sorry to say I wasn't using a Savage. Vintage '68 Mossberg 500 20ga and 5/8oz Remmy Sluggers. Next year I should have my smokless ML built I hope. It will be on a Savage of course.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

3 does with a bow left handed since I have this eye injury, and a 147 class 10 pt with muzzle loader;which is actually a mainframe 8pt with third beam, rear facing kicker, and black face. It will make a heck'uva mount with aged barnwood backing.
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

Basic Member
    1 doe sunday 12/08/13

jb6.5
    4 does 4 bucks so far for me and my wife. We got the bucks out of state. Hope to start on em here in a few weeks, the rut is usually in mid January.

2 doe with a bow for me.

Ive been hunting a couple properties that are bow only and have only been out with my 220f once so far this season. Been trying more to give my 11yo son the shots instead of me......that's getting old though....LOL

Went out on Monday with the bow and the climber. Had a nice 8pt come by me twice and that's all I saw. He came by once at about 65-70 yds, then out of sight. Then came by about 2 hours later, and walked by me at 41 yards but I could not get him to stop! I tried everything to get him to stop, and he never even flinched. Almost like he was deaf.....lol or smart! All I know is it really sucks to just have to sit there and watch the good ones walk away!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

bodywerks
    Didn't get drawn for deer this year, New hunter and all with no bonus points, but archery is otc and it opens up tomorrow so I'm out here camping out near where I hope to get on some muleys in the morning.

Basic Member
    One doe and one small buck down so far. Three weeks of season left, so there may be another one or two to fall.

Basic Member
    2 bucks and 2 does so far. One with a .243 Winchester; 2 with a .270 Win; one with a 7.62X39. Our season is long and the limits are generous.

My first season hunting--so far nothing! Seen deer but have never had a good shot or I got busted too quickly.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

bigrockets
    Got a six point in Tioga County, PA on opening day. The shot was at 75 yards through brush after watching him and counting tines until I could verify he was legal. New out of the box Axis 7mm_08 sighted in with two shots. Just picked up the meat from the processors. I'll be making jerky this weekend. Now I can also brag about my little sister who got a big twelve point trophy buck while she was on crutches with an ankle in a cast and had to follow the blood trail to find the deer. Those PA girls are tough.

Six days out of nine during shot gun and not even a flag.Two days with ml so far with same results.
    Hunted right after snow fell on opening day and only saw 4 sets of tracks that were put down during the storm, they were all headed for private property and can't find where they came back.
    I have been talking to guys that have hunted all during bow,shot gun/rifle and now a few days into ML and they all say the same thing " where did the deer go". Seems like an awful lot of hunters in this part of Ct. are getting skunked.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

I was skunked this year as well. I was not drawn for deer in the general draw but was able to pick up a left over tag in a unit to the south of me that I was unfamiliar with and covered with private property. Needless to say the few areas that hunters were able to get into were packed to the gills and all I found was does and lots of them. I was seeing up to 17 does a day, that makes for a pretty frustrating hunt.

Well, no buck for me this year unless one of three things happen.
    1. Late flintlock season sucess
    2. Late archery season success (unlikely)
    Or whacking a "shed" buck late and putting an antlerless tag on him.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member
    im still at our north central pa camp. many of the camps in this area are long range hunters.
    this was the best year in at least 3 for that type hunting here. first off there was snow for at least
    part of the season which always helps. mast crop such as acorns were spotty at best. find the food
    and find the deer. the die hards who cling to their favorit spots suffered because of that.
    we did pretty well in our camp with 4 bucks the first week. actually 3 came within 10 minits the
    first morning when my son spotted 4 bucks together at about 700 yds. all 3 were 8 pointers with my son
    getting the nicest. heavy horns and 19". we also missed a couple including my 13 yr old grandson who flew
    up from fl. for 3 days of hunting. second week just myself and another 70s friend just enjoying life and harrassing
    friends in other camps. easy to do when your tagged out. next year (god willing) might be my turn in the barrel.
    all our deer were taken with 30 calibers this year.

Just looked at the states official deer kill report for the area I hunt, 8 deer for archery and 8 for shot gun. These are the reported kills, very easy in Ct. not to report. This is on 4700 acres of state forest bordered by private land most of which is not accessible to hunters.
    I don't know of any for ML and personaly have not even heard a shot as of yet.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    First firearms season closed last night. We managed to get 3 bucks and a doe between my two sons and myself.

1 doe in early muzzleloader season with the new smoke pole. I was all obsessed about 100 yd groups and shot her at 15 ft. Still have late archery after Xmas but finding a buck is almost a joke.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Read an article in the paper yesterday and according to D E P the bears,coyotes and bob cats are feasting on deer all year long in N W Ct. so herd has been dramaticly reduced. In one area hunters report more bear sightings than deer, of course there is NO bear hunting here or bob cats either.
    The study under way will take 2 more years to finish, that is to see whether to open bear season or reduce deer tags.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    if the g c is controlled by the legislature it will be an uphill battle.
    the do gooders will no doubt be a big influance. the right thing
    will always lose out to the popular thing with polititions.

Sooner or later the predators will start eating their designer laberdoodles and ****zu's and chickens--that might be when they will have a change of heart.

Alright guys, lets not turn this into a political discussion. We all know (or should know) the rules.

Thanks

JMGlasgow
    Nothing for me. Waiting to be an official resident of the great state of Wyoming.

Well, it looks like I'm not going to end the season with an empty freezer after all. I wish I could say those 100+ hours of careful stalking in the woods paid off; but I'm forced to admit that it all happened last night when a buddy of mine who lives two counties over called me to say he had just hit a doe with his truck and badly fractured it's leg. By the time I got there somebody else had already performed the coup-de-gras with a 9mm pistol and the deer had been left on the side of the road. So I learned yet another important lesson--never wear new running shoes and good clothes when loading up a deer in the dark by yourself that's had it's brains blown out. And of course on the way out a deer crossed the road in front of me.

woodsman416
    Bow season - 2 does and one 135" 8 point all with my PSE.
    Shot gun season - 2 8 point bucks, both about 100" to 110" and one doe all with my Savage 220.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast