Thread: Sear engagement issue, I think I may need a new sear

Dieseltech09

Sear engagement issue, I think I may need a new sear

I bought this old 110 sight un-unseen with the intention to re barrel it from the get go. This is the same one I am planning on shipping to McGowen for them to re blue the action and re barrel. The gun was advertised as having a "tuned factory trigger" set to just under 3lbs. I dont know what all was done but this thing has zero take up. The bigger problem is I can get the sear to fall with the safety on with pretty steady pressure on the trigger. I have adjusted the safety screw to the extreme and the only way to keep it from happening is to adjust the screw to the point the trigger is locked solid. Any movement at all and I can make it fire on safe. When took the trigger group apart and started looking at things it is pretty obvious the the edge of the sear is not straight. One corner is higher that the rest of the edge. When everything is together and the the rifle is cocked I can see light between the sear engagement surface and trigger. Is this the result of a trigger job gone bad or could there be something else I am over looking? I am use to AR triggers and from experience with those I dont think I have near enough engagement. I tried taking pics of the sear with my phone but they arent clear enough for me to even bother posting. Is there anything else I need to check or if I just need to buy a new sear where can I order one online? Oh and I forgot to mention this is a two screw trigger so there is no sear adjustment screw.

Basic Member
    Usually people hone the trigger not work the sear. I'm guessing you need a trigger not a sear.

Basic Member
    Without seeing it it's hard to say for sure. limige is probably right, but if it looks like someone has messed with the sear, then you probably do need a new one. You can get one from Savage, you just have to E-mail them a disclaimer first. Also you should replace the trigger then as well, cause they probably messed with that also.

Basic Member
    Have you tried to readjust the trigger? I start with the pull weight first, then do the over travel, and do the safety last.

Dieseltech09
    Thanks guys. If the trigger was stoned they didn't do very much, the finish doesn't look wore down on the trigger the way the sear looks. The edge on the sear looks broke over like the way when you file a flat edge and it rolls over. Like I said the sear edge is not straight and there is an obvious high spot on it. I have tried adjusting the trigger. I was wrong when I said I adjusted the safety screw, I had to adjust the over travel screw to the point the trigger would not move to keep it from firing on safe. Any movement at all in the trigger and it would fire while on safe with quite a bit of pressure on the trigger. I will try to to get some pics up later today. I have an email in to Savage as well so we will see what they have to say,

Basic Member
    If the sear looks buggered, for any reason replace it. Triggers are nothing to gamble with.