Thread: 300 WM seated to lands

Luke45

300 WM seated to lands

My brother bought a stock 300 WM 110 recently, wondering if shooting VLDs out of it seated to the lands makes it a single shot. Anyone have any input on what the OAL of a VLD at the lands is on a stock 110? he doesnt want to go buy a box of bullets to check if its just going to make his gun single shot. and what about the 185 classic bergers?basically wants a good bullet with high BC seated to the lands that can still fit in magazine if possible

Basic Member
    i guess my question would be so long as the gun shoots who cares what the seating depth is?
    for that matter what bullet it is also. sorta like saying im gone fishin tomorrow and im gonna catch a big fish
    on this lure.

Basic Member
    Load to the lands = Single shot. I think it is safety thing ? I just went through this in load work up for my boys. I've got numbers around here some place for three different 300 wm's and all had different throats and different magazine lengths. 1 a tekka loaded to mag length had .25" jump . 2 a savage 110 had .100 jump when loaded to mag length. 3 a savage 111 had .050 jump loaded to mag length. It was hard for me to get 190's? over 2900 fps in the Tekka.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    My brother bought a stock 300 WM 110 recently, wondering if shooting VLDs out of it seated to the lands makes it a single shot. Anyone have any input on what the OAL of a VLD at the lands is on a stock 110? he doesnt want to go buy a box of bullets to check if its just going to make his gun single shot. and what about the 185 classic bergers?basically wants a good bullet with high BC seated to the lands that can still fit in magazine if possible
    I have the same question yo does..."assuming" it will shoot well seated on the lands is a hefty assumption...I have a couple rifles that like to be seated to the lands, but only a couple...out of over 50 rifles. Every rifle/barrel is different and no two can be assured to like the same load, even if the rifles are the same make/model/caliber.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    i guess my question would be so long as the gun shoots who cares what the seating depth is?
    for that matter what bullet it is also. sorta like saying im gone fishin tomorrow and im gonna catch a big fish
    on this lure.
    . Seating to lands or with a few thou jump = larger capacity and in my experience with bergers, seating to the lands and backing off a few thou at a time is a good Starting point for load development. So ya I'm going to try to catch a big fish
    Last edited by Luke45; 01-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Load to the lands = Single shot. I think it is safety thing ? I just went through this in load work up for my boys. I've got numbers around here some place for three different 300 wm's and all had different throats and different magazine lengths. 1 a tekka loaded to mag length had .25" jump . 2 a savage 110 had .100 jump when loaded to mag length. 3 a savage 111 had .050 jump loaded to mag length. It was hard for me to get 190's? over 2900 fps in the Tekka.
    Thanks for the input!

Basic Member
    The savage 111 magazine was the biggest of the three 3.519". With COAL set at magazine length I still had .050 jump. I never worked up a load for this rifle but looking at the numbers I think it would have been the best to work with? The Tekka had the shortest mag.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    The savage 111 magazine was the biggest of the three 3.519". With COAL set at magazine length I still had .050 jump. I never worked up a load for this rifle but looking at the numbers I think it would have been the best to work with? The Tekka had the shortest mag.
    thank you sir! good to hear from you since you just went through the same thing,
    Much appreciated

Basic Member
    I have been using some 208g Amax's among other VLD's. Yes, they are single shot to even come close to the lands since the 300 almost always has a l-o-n-g throat. Maybe consider selling present barrel, getting a custom short throat barrel and the CDI bottom metal with the AI mags, OAL then can be close to 3.60. I did the barrel route and now am getting ready to do the bottom metal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    . Seating to lands or with a few thou jump = larger capacity and in my experience with bergers, seating to the lands and backing off a few thou at a time is a good Starting point for load development. So ya I'm going to try to catch a big fish
    thats fine, but sooner or later you will use the lure neeed to catch the fish.
    you will also use the load needed for the gun to work.
    why not just seat a bullet in an empty case and check it in the magazine?
    then put some powder in it and see if it shoots?
    yes i know you said he dosent want to buy any bullets in order to find out.
    too bad bullet makers dont offer sample paks for a couple of bucks.
    maybe the best approach would be to ask around for some bullets to try.