Thread: Youth Model 11 Savage Barrel replacement

Barry B

Youth Model 11 Savage Barrel replacement

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am considering changing the barrel on my sons youth model 11 rifle. I bought this rifle as a package and then put a low end Leupold scope on it for him. Nice rifle, but it is chambered in 7MM-08. I think this is a great round, but it can be expensive and difficult to find. I am thinking of putting a .308 barrel on the rifle. This will make ammo cheaper and much easier to find. Does anyone have an idea on where I could get a decent barrel that will fit? Anyone think this is a bad idea? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for your help......Barry B.

jo191145

Re: Youth Model 11 Savage Barrel replacement

Welcome to the forum Barry

Just gotta ask. What is your son going to do with this rifle?
    How does he handle recoil?
    Has he fired the 7-08 and loves it?
    If its his first rifle and he's just gonna shoot at a range I'd suggest a 223 Remington.

Northlander (Jim Briggs) in the classified section of this site can hook you up with a barrel.

Basic Member

All of the barrel makers - Douglas, Shilen, Pac-Nor, A&B, etc will have a Savage Pre-fit. Mid-way might have what you are looking for, or Brownells. You can become a subscriber here and see the classifieds (sorry not and ad, but it is $ well spent here). SharpShooter Supply (aka SSS), Northland Shooter Supply, Sinman can help you out as well.

might consider a .243 also, good round with less recoil - of course nothing wrong with the .308 IMO.

Barry B

My son is ten now. He is learning to shoot at the range. Next year he hopes to take his first whitetail. He shoots mostly a 17hmr for practice. The 7mm-08 in 140 grain is a bit much for him. The plan is to have some 100 grain rounds loaded for him. I probably should have originally picked up a .243, but I did not want to have to buy another rifle in 2-3 years. I figure this rifle will be a great starter rifle until he starts earning money and he can go buy one for himself. The truth be told, I have shot his rifle at the range. It is a great little rifle with suprising accuracy. The only reason I am considering switching to the .308 is to save a little money on ammo, and have a much easier time finding ammo. I will still more than likely have to have some 100 grain rounds loaded for him.

jo191145

Barry

heres my opinion and worth exactly what you've paid for it.
    Go with the 243. Its plenty gun for whitetails with the proper bullet in it.
    The biggest problem young (and older) shooters have is a pshycological phenomonon called flinch.
    Basically the brain tells the body to be afraid of the recoil right at the moment of trigger pull. Usually a fast jerk of the trigger and tightening of the body muscles (flinch) Very often the shooter does not even know its happening. Accuracy is bad and moral is low.
    New shooters should work their way up the recoil chain.

As Mike said. Pay the subscription to this site and you'll see the classifieds. Northlander sells Sav factory tubes.
    Custom barrels ready to screw on are available. A factory tube should be just fine for hunting and learning. A little more economical.

I'd also recommend you consider getting some basic equipment and begin reloading.
    On these shooting forums we go on and on about the latest and greatest expensive reloading gear.
    For hunting accuracy you need not break the bank to reload your own. With the price of factory ammo these days you should end up saving money by buying the equipment and rolling your own. As long as you don't get hung up on buying "the best" that is.

Reloading your own is just one more thing a Father and Son can do together for quality time.
    I commend you for helping your son learn to shoot.

Hodgen has some recipes for Youth Loads with reduced recoil. If you ever take my advice and roll your own that would be a good place to start.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jo191145
    Barry

heres my opinion and worth exactly what you've paid for it.
    Go with the 243. Its plenty gun for whitetails with the proper bullet in it.
    The biggest problem young (and older) shooters have is a pshycological phenomonon called flinch.
    Basically the brain tells the body to be afraid of the recoil right at the moment of trigger pull. Usually a fast jerk of the trigger and tightening of the body muscles (flinch) Very often the shooter does not even know its happening. Accuracy is bad and moral is low.
    New shooters should work their way up the recoil chain.

As Mike said. Pay the subscription to this site and you'll see the classifieds. Northlander sells Sav factory tubes.
    Custom barrels ready to screw on are available. A factory tube should be just fine for hunting and learning. A little more economical.

I'd also recommend you consider getting some basic equipment and begin reloading.
    On these shooting forums we go on and on about the latest and greatest expensive reloading gear.
    For hunting accuracy you need not break the bank to reload your own. With the price of factory ammo these days you should end up saving money by buying the equipment and rolling your own. As long as you don't get hung up on buying "the best" that is.

Reloading your own is just one more thing a Father and Son can do together for quality time.
    I commend you for helping your son learn to shoot.

Hodgen has some recipes for Youth Loads with reduced recoil. If you ever take my advice and roll your own that would be a good place to start.
    Very Sound Advice +1
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

+100 for youth loads

Try down loading youth loads from hodgdons web sight

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

I used tses with my son in 30-30 when he was 8 for his 1st white tail, bought him a 7-08 for 9th bd & loaded 120's up with this data. Read the intro you can even go down to 60% of regular loading data (not youth data) with H4895. He is now 13 & uses full house loads, powder