I was able to finally purchase an FVSR from a local gun dealer. WOW! For the price you cannot beat the accuracy and performance. The only other savage I own is the 10-ml (smokeless muzzleloader) and it performs jagged same hole groupings at 100 yds, so I had pretty good expectations from savage, but the FVSR really surprised me. Savage seemed to hit all the right points for a quality rifle in that price range. While the aesthetics are not that of a much pricier rifle, they give you an accurate barrel, good action and trigger at a good price. (most people hate the stock, but I don't think it's bad with low rings.)

I took it to the range the other day and shot the best with Eley Edge ammo. It was very windy (15-20 mph) from every direction, but I still managed a .480" group at 50 yds by shooting between wind gusts. I love the tough and ruggedness of this rifle. I don't feel bad walking through thick brush worrying about scratches etc.

I don't think I want to put a can on the barrel as I find it hard to invest another 500$ or so in this rifle to be quiet. The thread protector on the barrel looks kind of cheesey and I was wanting to replace it with a flash hider or muzzle brake to look better, but also help protect the crown from being dinged or damaged. Any recommendations?

Thanks,