Thread: Fvsr

amazon0413

Fvsr

I was able to finally purchase an FVSR from a local gun dealer. WOW! For the price you cannot beat the accuracy and performance. The only other savage I own is the 10-ml (smokeless muzzleloader) and it performs jagged same hole groupings at 100 yds, so I had pretty good expectations from savage, but the FVSR really surprised me. Savage seemed to hit all the right points for a quality rifle in that price range. While the aesthetics are not that of a much pricier rifle, they give you an accurate barrel, good action and trigger at a good price. (most people hate the stock, but I don't think it's bad with low rings.)

I took it to the range the other day and shot the best with Eley Edge ammo. It was very windy (15-20 mph) from every direction, but I still managed a .480" group at 50 yds by shooting between wind gusts. I love the tough and ruggedness of this rifle. I don't feel bad walking through thick brush worrying about scratches etc.

I don't think I want to put a can on the barrel as I find it hard to invest another 500$ or so in this rifle to be quiet. The thread protector on the barrel looks kind of cheesey and I was wanting to replace it with a flash hider or muzzle brake to look better, but also help protect the crown from being dinged or damaged. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Basic Member
    An Aachee trigger kit, the best money I've spent on my MKII.

fartsinpublic
    Quote Originally Posted by amazon0413 View Post
    I don't think I want to put a can on the barrel as I find it hard to invest another 500$ or so in this rifle to be quiet. The thread protector on the barrel looks kind of cheesey and I was wanting to replace it with a flash hider or muzzle brake to look better, but also help protect the crown from being dinged or damaged. Any recommendations?
    After the Apachee Trigger kit...

http://www.kineti-tech.com/2-piece-m...ound-director/

http://www.kineti-tech.com/muzzle-br...-threaded-2-5/

amazon0413
    Quote Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post

pretty cool, thanks!

mcoker
    I also just purchased an FVSR. I wanted a factory threaded barrel and settled on the Savage. The CZ is too nice of wood and too heavy for my intended purpose. The Ruger's trigger is nowhere near as good as the Savage so I would have to immediately drop coin on an aftermarket trigger. For the price I don't know how you can beat the Savage. I'm in the preliminary stages of getting her set up and a bit indecisive on optics. Might actually start with an Aimpoint H-1 to keep it lightweight and fast. Second option is Vortex 1-4 PST. Third option is Leupold Firedot 2-7. Suppressor will hopefully clear in the next month or so. I haven't been this excited about a .22 since I was eight years old!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amazon0413 View Post
    The thread protector on the barrel looks kind of cheesey and I was wanting to replace it with a flash hider or muzzle brake to look better, but also help protect the crown from being dinged or damaged. Any recommendations?
    On a lot of 22LRs I like using either the Vietnam-era "3-Prong" M16 flash hider or the "A1" M16 flash hider. I prefer both over the more common "A2" flash hider because the A2 has one side that's missing a slot and thus has to be turned (or, "timed") correctly. The A1 version has slots all the way around, so it doesn't matter how it's turned, and unless you're just really picky about looks, the 3-Prong doesn't matter either. Both the 3-Prong and the A1 are pretty cheap and are quite common.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

Basic Member
    FV-SR is a lot of fun.

priell3
    I added an A2 flash hider to mine http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ash-hider.html

I added an A2 flash hider to my Hog Hunter. I did so because of the reasons you stated- AND the dirt / dust kicked up by the A1 flash hider could be an issue when shooting prone with .308 Win. loads. But as was mentioned; you have to index the A2 to keep the solid part on the bottom. Either way- it is a cost effective method of protecting the threads and creating a nice finished look to the end of the barrel as well as protecting the crown.

Another option- but perhaps not viable, would be to have a smith cut off the threaded portion and re-crown. But as that is a short barrel to begin with you may not want to go that route. I'd be afraid of messing with the accuracy with a cut and re-crown, personally. Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!