Thread: Early morning Red

bugholes

Early morning Red

With the temps in the lower single digits this morning and several inches of snow on the ground,I knew the fox and coyote would be hungry and out feeding so I did not want to waste the opportunity.I talked to my buddy John the night before to see if he wanted to go but he said "no,it's too cold". I told him he was a "WUSS" so I had to go solo.

Headed out at 5:30am and proceeded to the farm.Got there about 6:00 and by 6:15 I was set up.I put the caller about 75yds. out in front of me. Started out with Lightning Jack on the Foxpro Fury and about 5 min. in, I saw eyes about 250 yds. directly in front of me. I was using the ELT 100 scan light mounted on my hat.

He was coming in hard!! The wind was blowing slightly from my right and he tried to use it to his advantage. He worked his way directly down wind and when got about 100-125 yds from the caller,I lit him up with the CoyoteLight. Saw that he was broadside so I decided to take him. A perfect head shot. Normally I don't save fur but since the temps were so low,decided to take this one and give to my friend Luke so he could sell the fur.

Here is a pic of my stand. Shooting my Savage LRPV in 204 Ruger with the 39gr. BK's. You can see tracks all around.

Pic of the field. Fox came from tree line about 350 yds. out.

Pic of the red all furred up. Should be a nice pelt.

Hope you guys like. BH

ShawneeB
    Nice job BH.

bugholes
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawneeB View Post
    Nice job BH.
    Thanks. The cold temps really got them moving here. Went out again tonight and we called in three on one stand. Unfortunately we did not put any fur down. Still had a blast.

BH

ShawneeB
    Yup, finally moved here too when it got cold. I saw the post on PM, got John to go this time huh!

bugholes
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawneeB View Post
    Yup, finally moved here too when it got cold. I saw the post on PM, got John to go this time huh!
    Yeah,he called me yesterday afternoon and said he could not stand it anymore. Had to hit the fields. Sad part is last night he was running the scan light and I called two in within 40yds. I could not see them but he had his shotgun and did not shoot. I asked him why he did not use the scatter gun and he said he was so excited he forgot he had it in his hands!! lol

ShawneeB
    Haha sounds like when I used to hunt ringnecks. They wait till you almost step on them then explode. Never did get one close up! I've got nighteyes gun light and headlanp. I see these bigger ones on TV predator shows. What are you using for a scan light?

bugholes
    We use the EWT 100 mounted on the hat. Works good for the person using it. I am getting ready to get one for myself.

I used to hunt pheasants when I was young. Might be my favorite hunting of all time. Used to go with my father. We had an Irish Setter that was a hell of a bird dog. Unfortunately with all the land development here,I have not heard a cock bird crow for over 20 yrs.

Basic Member
    Nice looking red !!

Season started off good but I've been in a slump lately...getting busted a lot. I know it'll pass but, it's frustrating going through it.

Now that they're pairing up, hopefully I'll get back on track and get some fur down.

ShawneeB
    No pheasant here. The chiggers or turkey mites or something gets them. Got turkey though!

The night eyes headlamp works pretty good, doesn't seem to light up as far as the gun light but pretty good. I'm just wondering what a big handheld would do. Look like a handle similar to a spot light. Like on that predator show on outdoor channel. Think they are in PA, foxes.