2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Help with .223 load

2 100.00%
  • .223 load questions

0 0%

Thread: Black Hill .223 Load questions

readusm

Black Hill .223 Load questions

Can anyone explain to me how to duplicate the load of the .223, 55 grain, FMJ cartridge? This appears to be a great shooting round from my rifle and I'm purchasing a reloading kit and I would like to know how to reload it if anyone could help. Also, If anyone knows how to duplicate the M855 round that is used by the Marine Corps I would love to know how to make that as well. ???

Re: Black Hill .223 Load questions

I doubt you will ever find the military load info, that is usually top secret. For that matter you won't find the recipes that the ammo makers use either, no one gives out that info.
    All I can say is get at least 2 load manuals and cross reference everything you do. The more you reload the easier it gets and the better your loads become. You might even come up with a load you like better.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Uncle Jack

The best way to duplicate a known load is to chronograph it and start to reverse engineer it. Tear a couple apart and observe and weigh everything. Check out several different manuals and look for similar velocities and powder weights. It may take you some time, but you can probably duplicate any load with a little work.

uj

Basic Member

I have been trying to duplicate the BH load with a 50 gr v-max, very, very accurate and good velocity. I am still trying.

They use a heavy crimp, even on the v-max bullet. I tried a crimp and that did not work for me.

They are probably using a custom powder, as most manufactures do. It looks like Tac or X-Terminator, but the charge weights are different.

I have had good luck with Ramshot X-Terminator (and it is relatively cheap to boot), 50 to 52 gr bullets, and a MAGNUM primer. Got more consistent velocities with the magnum primer.

If you figure it out let the rest of us know.

Good luck,
    Keith

readusm

Thanks for the info never thought of pulling one apart, I'll get ahold of some of my friends in the USMC and see if they can get me a round or two to dissect, if I come up with anything I'll be glad to let ya know. The secret on the M855 ball round can't be that big of a secret because at the 500yd line we were doing good to go 10 for 10 in the B Mod target and that measures 20" X 40", although they were good enough to help me pull of 4th award Expert and that's why I'd like to learn what to do to keep them around. Probably do much better with my current rig than with the M16A2.

If you still have contacts in the corp ask one of them to talk with one of the armorers, they should be able to give you the exact data you want.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Most factory ammunition is loaded with bulk/blended powders not available to the public.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

kslefty

I will give you a good starting point for your reloads, if you can get a box of the 60gr sierra h.p. bullets and a pound of either varget or H322. I use regular CCI primers and H322 with anything 60gr or under and luckily my VLP prefers a slight jump to the lands with the lighter bullets. With Win. brass I use 23.4gr of H322 loaded just barely over the "book" length, military brass like slightly less powder. This load will outshoot any FMJ load I have shot to date and any of my reloads using the FMJ bullets I have on hand.