Thread: Stock options for Savage 10T - bottom release / trigger guard release

zhangla

Stock options for Savage 10T - bottom release / trigger guard release

Hi,

I got the rifle from local Cabelas as a birthday gift. It seems to be a Cabelas exclusive model, but looks like a regular model 10. 24'' heavy barrel, super size bolt handle, detachable mag and a bottom bolt release (on the trigger guard).

I wonder what are the aftermarket stock options for Savages with bottom bolt release.

After some research, I have concluded:

1. No B&C support bottom release Savages
    2. XLR and Mcree both can support bottom release Savages
    3. Some AICS supports bottom release Savages

I am on a budget and really looking for something around $500. If B&C makes bottom release compatible stocks, that would be wonderful.

What are other options?

Thanks in advance.

Westcliffe01
    Buy a replacement sear from any of the earlier model 10/110 rifles. Link here https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/139590C.htm Swap out the sear. Not sure if a flat on the side of the receiver is needed where the sear release lever is located, I will have to look (I have a 10PC with bottom bolt release and all my others are top release). You could just leave the bottom metal as is and epoxy the button permanently in place, or get a new trigger guard for the new stock. Trigger guards you can get. Sear you would probably not be able to order directly from Savage (like the trigger).

There is a thread on doing this here http://www.savageshooters.com/archiv...p/t-26264.html
    Writer claimed all he did was swap the sear out.

Main problem right now is that like all other critical parts, the sear is out of stock at Numrich.

750SS
    I have a pc10 with the bottom release. What I'm doing is getting a cdi bottom metal and pairing it with a Manners t5a. Cdi has a bottom metal that relocates the release back up to the old position. As an added bonus it uses AICS styled mags. I think it's around $200 so it does cut into your budget but opens up greater possibilities.

zhangla
    Thanks for the info.

I am a bit upset why Savage has decided to change the design, while most aftermarket stock vendors do not change theirs

Would have been more cost-effective to re-buy a separate rifle with side release.

Westcliffe01
    Do you seriously think Savage gives a crap about aftermarket vendors ? Things like this are done to deliberately fragment the aftermarket, to deny the aftermarket the economy of scale of common parts. Its a way to force the consumer to buy something from Savage, which is what they want.

But the sear solution is relatively simple. You just have to find one. The you can use any stock you like and not deal with this extra limitation.

zhangla
    Savage would be dumb to destroy a good ecosystem, like Apple or Google would deliberately modify their iOS or Android APIs to cause developers on their platform to suddenly not able to write new apps/games, but who knows.

The sear solution... it looks to me pretty complicated. Many people have to resort to their gunsmith to do it. Here around my house, all gunsmith in the 30 mile radius are fully booked with work for the next 6 months. Well...

Basic Member
    Fyi boyds makes them.

Westcliffe01
    Its a $13 part. Get it, then it is a 20 min job to try it for fit on the action. The hardest thing is getting the sear spring tensioned while trying to insert the pin. If you take your action out the stock, you will see that there is just a single pin holding the sear in place. Hardly complicated. Awkward regarding the spring, yes.

You could try the action in your new stock and leave off the trigger guard temporarily, then see if you can push down the sear from above with a screwdriver or pin punch to remove the bolt. If you seldom need to remove the bolt from the action in the field, and you can depress the sear lever with a tool from above, then you could simply cut off the extension that savage added to the bottom of the sear for the trigger guard release. That way it would fit in any Savage stock made for a side release. This may get you in the game while you wait for a replacement sear of the correct type.

Basic Member
    Yes, as limige said, Boyds makes nice stocks for the bottom button. Also, stocks are easily modified to allow them, anyhow.

Seriously, it is no big deal.

Get an A2 Medalist and send it to CDI Precision to be inletted...bet it'll work just fine with the factory DBM.

Pseum0
    does the XLR replace the bottom metal so you have to use AICS mags?