Thread: 400 lb Gorilla's day off

pitsnipe

400 lb Gorilla's day off

At the range Saturday keepin the trigger finger happy. All goes as expected (need a LOT more trigger time LOL). Get home, and during my cursory wipe down, notice the bolt handle seems a bit loose. So obviously the Gorilla who tightens these had that day off when my Mdl 10 went through the line (hope the same is true for the barrel nut when I get to that "phase") Upon further inspection find the BAS backed off @ 1/2 turn. Take the bolt out of the action, and with it on the bench, use the bolt handle to hold the bolt in one place and tighten the nut back up with a 1/4" allen wrench. My question to you good folks is: should I have un-cocked the bolt when I tightened this back up? As now that I think about it, not sure if the tension of the bolt being cocked would/could prevent a through tightening of the BAS. And my guess that the "only" thing that would have been effected by the loose nut would have been a little loss in primary extraction?

Thanks

Snipe

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    My question to you good folks is: should I have un-cocked the bolt when I tightened this back up? As now that I think about it, not sure if the tension of the bolt being cocked would/could prevent a through tightening of the BAS.

And my guess that the "only" thing that would have been effected by the loose nut would have been a little loss in primary extraction?

Snipe
    No, the firing spring will never win the battle between the leverage of the allen wrench and the camming effect of the BAS/bolt body threads. Its fine.

Anytime you change the distance between the bolt handle and rear baffle the primary extractor is affected. If it was OK before its OK now.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

pitsnipe
    Thank you Bill.

Snipe