Thread: Model 64 Ext. Mags

mazda3gun

Model 64 Ext. Mags

Do they exist? If so, where?! My Google-Fu has recovered nothing pertaining to them.

I just bought another 10-rnd mag so that gives me two. BUT, what if I wanna shot 25rnds before reloading? What if???

thomae
    Ok, I'll step up and take a swing at this one.
    To my knowledge, they are not made by any commercial entity.
    Someone will correct me for sure if I am wrong.

mazda3gun
    thomae, I've never even seen anything custom for them either. One would need a forge most likely, upon inspecting a 64 mag, just to make the body of it. Youtube doesn't offer anything either.
    Oh well...

I need some pointers on disassembly of my Mod 64. It's a plain-Jane Model 64, no letters, simply says 'Savage Mod. 64' stamped on the barrel. I've watched some videos and most of them say you can't really get a thorough cleaning of the action and bolt without some trouble. Bought it a pawnshop for WAY TOO MUCH, but it needs a solid runthrough and cleaning. Should I just start a new thread???

mazda3gun
    It's also NOT drilled/tapped for mounts. Just has a dovetail rail, so I know it's not one of the newest models.

mirco
    mazda3 - sorry I don't know of any aftermarket suppliers of mags. As far as disassembly, remove socket head screw from bottom of trigger guard, that should separate the barrel and action from the stock; then remove the flathead screw all the way toward the back underneath the safety, the two phillips head screws where the magazine goes in, then remove hex head screw where the barrel goes into the action. When you remove this screw it is holding in a "u-shaped"bracket that needs to slide out perpendicular to the barrel. Once that's done it's free - the only thing holding it together is a flat spring clip.

You really only unscrew four things and everything comes apart.

Once the action is removed you can put it in a vise to get the barrel and the action apart. Just pull the barrel and give a lsight back and forth twising motion. Don't turn it too much or you will bend that flat spring clip. Once the barrel comes off the flat spring clip will either be in the barrel or the action.

Then the bolt can slide forward and the charging handle can come forward and everything comes apart. It's really pretty simple - honest. Just look and make sure you have those four screws loosened.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to keep an eye on this thread.

Best wishes.

mazda3gun
    THANKS! I'll give it a shot tonight.