I've made mention of my walnut stock getting cracked finish last time I hunted with it in deplorable weather(snow/rain mix @ 35*+/-F) and it worried me the wood split. So, I, in my neurotic nature sanded the area where it cracked to inspect it and found only the finish was cracked. Then I got the wild hair to sand it all off and restain/refinish, by hand, and start anew! Here's what I did:

1st) 80grit paper, used a 'Dremel' type tool for the stubborn and hard to reach places. Following grain
2nd) Used a 3M Med/Fine foam sanding block I picked up at WallyWorld, it sucks for this actually so don't buy one, to smooth things out. Cross grain
3rd) 220grit paper. Following grain
4th) I had lightly sanded over the knurling on the fore end and grip to keep them the same plain original gunstock color in the background, to create a 2-tone effect. Taped over them and cut out a perfect edge around them while I applied the stain. Well, blue painters tape didn't hold up too well to the dark Ebony and it seeped through. So I went ahead and just brushed on the satin over those areas.
5th) I'll be applying a spray-on satin clear coat, several layers, while using a green scotch brite pad between coats. Probably over kill since it's satin, but oh well. Those pics will be posted in a follow-up once done.
6th) It'll be put back together with my new Nikon PROSTAFF optics and a cheek riser/shell holder. Bipod still not purchased yet.