Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qutting smoking sucks!

Quitting smoking was actually very easy for me once I decided to actually do it, in 97 I quit cold turkey after some 24 years of smokling. In 03 I had a 2 year relapse after some trying times in my job and life in general. I felt like I needed a crutch for a little while. Once things calmed down a bit the smokes went away again. Good luck and don't give up. They cost too ****ed much these days anyway...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Ed's story sounds familiar.
    I quit in '86. Divorced the drunk I was married to in '97. Later that year she wandered back to town & drove me crazy for a day of two. Moment of choice:
    Bump off the ex OR grab a pack of Winston & calm down....

I couldn't justify the first option without looking at jail time.
    Option 2 still has me by the short hairs BUT, down to 5 - 10 smokes a day. Its no easy task by any means.

Quitting smoking, that is.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I must admit I do indulge in "fine Cigars" once or twice a month. I really do enjoy a nice premium smoke like a Man-o-War or a high end Gurkha. I have a good bud that I grew up with that we try and get together once a year for some down time. We'll smoke a good cigar or two, tell a few lies and sip some Cognac. If ever there was such a thing as a "good" smoke; that's the way to do it.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

mazda3gun
    Status report: I'm doing better. Cold turkey was just too much, my body was hooked on nicotine, not the physical habit. So I'm down to 3-4 cigs a day. I chew lots of gum, eat candy, stay focused on work...and here lol. I'm on the down slope of quitting, getting easier to let it go.

Hang in there.

Just don't quit quitting! Getting close to a month myself.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I've never smoked, but I have developed a nasty caffeine habit since my kids came along. The physical addiction is completely kicking my ass, no hope
    of quitting soon.

If you're having any luck at all quitting smoking, keep at it. It's an accomplishment to be proud of and you'll feel better.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Buzzard II
    I quit smoking 3 1/2 packs a day through Smoke Enders. That was 25 years ago and never went back. It was painless! No patch, no BS, just results. Worked for me! Bob

mazda3gun
    3 1/2 packs a day?! Sweet baby Jesus, man! How did you have time to do anything BUT smoke?

More like, How did you afford your life outside of smoking cigarettes? Because I've worked in the Jersey/Philly area and they aren't cheap to buy compared to good ol' KY!

Buzzard II
    I quit 25 YEARS AGO! Smokes were a lot cheaper back then! I worked 6 days a week, 14 hours a day. Now you know why I didn't start smoking again!

emtrescue6
    You can do it! I am almost 11 years free from chewing...I started when I was I 6th grade! Quit in my early 30's...hunting season is still the only time I struggle with a craving! Best of luck man!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazda3gun View Post
    Status report: I'm doing better. Cold turkey was just too much, my body was hooked on nicotine, not the physical habit. So I'm down to 3-4 cigs a day. I chew lots of gum, eat candy, stay focused on work...and here lol. I'm on the down slope of quitting, getting easier to let it go.
    I was so inspired by your attempt I decided to stop smoking as well.
    And NOW you say you can't do it????
    So you smoke a few per day???

I'm really disappointed. Now I have to go buy a pack of butts & start again.
    Thanks for ruining my life.

thomae
    Different methods work for different people.

Frank, don't give up. When I quit, I went cold turkey for a week due to surgery. When the week was up I realized that If I could let go for a week, I could let go for another week...and keep that up for a long time. YMMV.

Mazda3gun, don't give up either. Cutting down is at least better than where you were. Can you try quitting for 1 day?

I know you guys can do it.

Basic Member
    I'm just yanking his crank a little.
    I did manage to stop smoking. I won't use the word "quit" - It's more like I forgot to smoke. Was on a business excursion most of the week & every place I ended up was a smoke free place.

It's been 2 days of no smoking. Of course, the 'lil woman comes home early today so it is subject to change....

mazda3gun
    HAHAHA! I've cut back to a few a day which is AWESOME from a whole pack or pack and a half a day. I have gone a full 24hrs without and my girl said I was sleeping on the couch that day. Apparently I wasn't very nice??
    So I'm almost there, but I've found myself being very picky and critical of other people around me. Almost paranoid in fact.

Basic Member
    Quitting smoking was so easy for me!!

I always knew if I could get away for a couple of weeks that I could quit. Well, in 1994 I had triple by-pass surgery and spent a week in the hospital and a couple of weeks at home in bed.................no problem - the desire was GONE.........

Now, I don't recommend my method to just anyone.

It took my poor wife three months to quit..............but, she did it.

Best part: we put our cigarette money into the stock market and have enough money in the account now to put the grandson through college...................now, that is worth quitting for!! He only has two more years to go.

outback andy
    I'm glad to here you guys are quitting, my father died this last summer from cancer caused from smoking, he fought it
    for a year and a half, its a hard way to die I have to say.

David13
    I am going to change that thread title for you.
    The new title is "I Gave Myself a Great Gift: Not Smoking".
    You are born in a natural state where ... you do not smoke. You quit or left that natural state when you started to smoke.
    Now you simply return to your natural state of ... not smoking.
    You will have to deal with certain emotional issues, that you never dealt with. You only smoked at them. Those emotional issues will return. Once you deal with them, you will have no problem with your natural state ... of not smoking.
    dc

Team Savage
    smoked for 35 plus yrs.next month be 9 yrs quit.still cave the damm things

mazda3gun
    I'm doing great as far as progress. I do still smoke a few a day, I mean a few (3-4). Which is far from a pack or pack and a half daily. I'm considering an E-cig, but that doesn't get rid of the mental and physical habits. Candy, like suckers and hard candy, and gum have helped curb cravings.
    I'm hangin in there!

new hunter
    Mazda3gun its hard trust me. I had been smoking for a little longer then you. Last year I had a heart attack and had a stent put in. And I'm only 34 years old. I did go to dip for a few weeks to help with the with draw. Going on walks helps and so does kicking the dog and cat. But it last a month or two not weeks. Good luck.

Poor Shot
    I don't smoke and never have and at age 65 don't plan to start. I grew up in a house with chain smokers and was tired of the smell and trying to find my way through a heavy blue fog. It is difficult to quit but you just have to get meaner than the nicotine habit is.

Mark Twain once said that quitting smoking was easy because he had done it a thousand times.

Basic Member
    So....
    where is our resident quitter?

Are you off the smokes yet? Or still sneaking them in? I'm into the 2nd - going on third week now. I think I gained 6lbs & would kill for a Winston but hanging in there.

Anybody gotta light?

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by new hunter View Post
    Mazda3gun its hard trust me. I had been smoking for a little longer then you. Last year I had a heart attack and had a stent put in. And I'm only 34 years old. I did go to dip for a few weeks to help with the with draw. Going on walks helps and so does kicking the dog and cat. But it last a month or two not weeks. Good luck.
    Just did that drill after my first heart attack back in November. 45 year smoker.....quit cold turkey on the O.R. table when they put a patch on me and it almost triggered another attack.

So far so good.....no cravings to speak of and no real weight gain other than the usual winter 10 lb. addition.

Look at the bright side : When you quit you will have more $$$$ for ammo, etc.

Still doing good here. Going on 2 months for me. Still get the occasional craving from time to time and I have gained about 5 lbs, but I am loving the extra money in my pocket.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast