Thread: Barrel contours vs stock barrel channel

Basic Member

Barrel contours vs stock barrel channel

So I have an Axis on it's way and am anxious to get started playing with it. The gun is chambered in 7mm-08. I understand about the ability to swap barrels on Savage rifles. Looks to be within my capabilities. The only question I have is:

If you take a factory standard contour barrel and want to swap with a Factory Magnum contour barrel how much material will need to be removed from the barrel channel on the stock and/or will it be necessary to have two stocks? One for the standard factory and one for the factory magnum? The muzzle dimension appears to be 0.11 inches larger for the magnum. So is that just less taper or is the barrel also larger back where the taper from the barrel shank ends? I have looked at E. R. Shaw's website and it does not give those "in between" measurements.

Any help would be appreciated and will help pass the time 'til Walmart gets my rifle in.

Basic Member
    "NV", you have taken the first step toward having a lot of "Savage Shooters" fun! Please be warned, along the way on your new journey, you will almost certainly be led to "spend more money" than on just the price of the original rifle, as almost all of us have done. I would suggest that you invest around $100 in a Boyd's or a little more in a Stocky's "Thumbhole Varmit" Laminet stock. The barrel channel in those stocks is big enough for a Savage Heavy Varment. Some people worry about the barrel channel being too big for the barrel being installed, but to me, this is just more room for air flow and helps toward barrel cooling. If you want to use your factory stock, it is very easy to open up the channel with sand paper rapped around something about the same diameter-a long socket set is perfect.

Welcome to the "Journey" ;-) ....... Jim

Basic Member
    Thanks conch. That's sort of what I figured. What got me thinking about it is that MidwayUSA has Shaw barrels in 358 Win on clearance for about $176. I think it would make a pretty cool black bear gun. But the barrel is factory magnum contour.

Is that a swap a guy could make?

Basic Member
    I have an A&B 358Win. barrel, that I got on sale from Midway for $103, on a Stocky's Varmint Thumbhole Laminent and it is one of my favorite rifles. Shooting 225grn SGK's, it knocks deer off their feet. Get it and enjoy! ;-)

YES! All you need to know to peruse your new endeavor, you can find on this site! ;-)
    Last edited by FW Conch; 01-02-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: After thought