Thread: 10FCP CDI Magazine Problem

dbranger94

10FCP CDI Magazine Problem

Ok, I bought a 10FCP McMillan and converted it to the CDI DBM kit. The problem is with the Accuracy International (AI) magazine. If I load a full clip (5rds) and insert it, the first round chambers correctly, but the second wants to nose down under the feed ramp when I close the bolt. The follower or spring is binding up at the front of the magazine and the cartridges are only being supported in the rear. This allows the bullet to "dive" under the feed ramp as the bolt is closed. When this happens I can usually plunge the cartridges a couple of times and they will eventually pop up tight and feed normally. This problem only occurs on the second round.

I'm sure the fault is not in the CDI kit or the installation, because it doesn't matter if the magazine is in the gun or not. I can push the rounds out of the magazine by hand and the same thing occurs. Anyone ever had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

LawmanSales

Re: 10FCP CDI Magazine Problem

Is CDI shipping actual AI mags or the US made clones now available?

mgs44mag

Use lighter bullets! ;D

Basic Member

I have a CDI on my rifle and I do not have the issue that you describe. You might want to get in touch with Stacey Blankenship...he is an AI rep. He's on SH if you are a member.

dbranger94

Quote from their site:
    "The Bottom metal I offer uses "AICS" magazines. They are availalble in 5 or 10 round capacity. The Bottom metal is made of solid billet 6061-T651 Aluminum, and are Hardcoat Anodized and ready to install."

And, the AI logo is on the bottom of the mag. It seems legit to me.

I even tried to spray a light coat of rem-oil inside the mag with the follower all the way down to lube up the inner mag walls. It helped a little, very little.

z71rat

It may be a long shot... but worth it to check. Try taking the magazine apart and turning the spring around. If that does not work, you can bend the feed of the spring higher in the front to assist the rounds to nose up. It won't cost you anything to try, and may be the answer you are lookin for.

DK

dbranger94

I sent an e-mail to Stacey at AI yesterday, and received a quick response:

"I thank you for the inquiry and sorry to hear of the issue. Please return the magazine to me for direct customer support. As for the post on the Savage Shooters, I would request you update with our actions. Yes CDI uses only genuine AI magazines and yes we will take care of the issue. I have seen one other last year which did what you are describing so it is no big deal."

So, I'll be mailing it out tomorrow.

mprtech

I had the same issue with my CDI kit and a 10FP. I adjusted the forward inch of the feed lips on the mag and havent had an issue since.
    Jeff from CDI discussed this issue with me and it sounds as though he adjusts lips on a gun to gun basis. Its pretty common, discussed on the hide with regularity a while ago when these first came out. I would tweak the front of the mags upward and this should cure it.

ETA I just remembered the other mod I did. I also removed roughly .125 from the front\top of the mag body so the mag went in higher in the front, that cured all of my feed issues. I can post pics when I get home if your not getting it.

dbranger94

I understand what you are saying mprtech, but the cartridges feed fine when the follower isn't bound up. With the mag follower stuck in the mag at the front, the cartridges aren't even touching the front half of the feed lips. This is allowing the cartridges to "dive" down as the bolt is closed, causing the bullet to hit or slip under the feed ramp.

I do appreciate the suggestion and I'll probably "tune" the new mag once I get it.

mprtech

Oh my bad I must have missed that part. Good luck to ya.

dbranger94

No problem.

I'll try to take some pictures tonight, before I send it back, so people can see what I'm talking about.