Thread: Convince me to buy an Axis

Convince me to buy an Axis

So the Axis has really caught my eye. Handled one a few weeks ago and was impressed. I've done 2 builds off large shank Savage model 10's and one off a Stevens 200. Looking at doing a lightweight 30-06 for deer hunting. I'll hunt with it in stock form and upgrade over time. Why would I pick an Axis over a Savage 110?
    Last edited by thomae; 01-01-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarified Title so it is clear this is not a WTB thread.

Personal view... If you could get a Savage 110 for the same price point as an Axis, I would go for it. I could never say anything bad about a 110.

I went for an Axis simply because the "Price was great"... But I keep and respect it because it shoots sub M.O.A. out of the box, will take all the replacement barrels that the 110 will, has an easy to modify, or replace trigger, has a very stiff receiver, came in left hand at no extra cost, and now is beginning to have replacement stocks available for them (at least the right hand models).

So convince you to buy one... I wouldn't even try. But I really do enjoy mine and have never regretted buying it.

rattfink
    Because Boyds will make you an affordable walnut stock with laser checkering to drop it into. Eventually.
    Because its a little cheaper.
    Because you have a 110.
    Because the action is kind of sexy looking.
    Because its something different to prop up against the wall in deer camp.
    Because deep down inside you know you kinda wanna.

Its a great feeling shooting at a range, having people look at your target results... Asking you what you used to do that with? When you answer savage axis... They look at you as though you are lying!!! Especially when the gun they are using is worth 3 or 4 times your axis.

When you have walked for 4 or 5 hours hunting, you get back to camp and put down your nice light axis that has dropped everything you pointed it at. And your arms don't feel like they are about to drop off.

Take this with a large chunk of salt:

the bolt's camming action for an axis is much smoother than my high dollar savages.
    Does anyone know why? is this cuz of the new cnc machines?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Thanks for the input so far.

When looking at the available cartridges for the Axis I see theres long and short action calibers. 22-250 REM,223 REM,243 WIN,25-06 REM,270 WIN,30-06 SPFLD,308 WIN,7MM-08 REM.

Are the actions actually short and long or doe Savage just use "spacers" on a long action to handle the short action cartridges. I'm wondering about this as overall lengths are identical.

long and short are different
    newbie from gr, mi.

Its cheap and shoots great.

n4ue
    Hi. I have a lot of them. They shoot great, although the 7mm-08 during long shooting sessions, does tend to get a little 'old'. There are a lot of great articles on here on how to stiffen the stock and add weight.
    I don't think a long range session with an '06 would be too much fun.
    For around $1 you can replace the stock trigger spring. Don't cut it. You will change the spring rate and although you'll have a 'lighter' trigger, you will still have overtravel issues. The parts from the local True Value will fix both problems at once....... My shooting buddies prefer the Axis' triggers to my Model 12s which have the Accutrigger, so do I......
    ron

Basic Member
    "03", the actions them selves on the long and short chambering's are all "long action" on the Axis. The difference is in the magazine and the trigger guard configuration.

ejk24
    They are inexpensive ,accurate , light weight , and the action is well built and will accept small shank Savage barrels . Plus there are aftermarket stocks available now .

Dirtydeeds
    I own an axis and a 116 which is simular to the 110 except the 116 is stainless.

If you have the funds go with the 110

you get a better safety with a metal tab
    more aftermarket options for a stock
    the factory stock on the 110 is more rugged and does not flex as much so you don't have to upgrade it as fast if at all
    the trigger (if it comes with an accutrigger) is much better than the stock axis trigger
    nicer looking bolt body on the 110 imo
    recoil lug is attached to the barrel/action

Don't get me wrong I like my axis but if I had to do it again I would have gotten the 116 instead of the axis.

Here are some pictures showing the difference between the axis and the 116.

I would stick with the 110 series if you need, break, or lose something, you can purloin it from your inventory and replace it when it comes in, plus they aftermarket support is just not there for they axis.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

mikec1911
    I'm not a big fan of High Dollar guns, I bought my son the Axis in .308 for his Graduation Present. I bought him a Nikon Pro-staff 5 BDC scope in 2-10x50mm, polished and lighten stock trigger, Hand load Barns TSX 150gr and get .25" groups with it and it has dropped every deer or hog to date. At first the mag popped out when fired but they replaced it for free. We love it, accurate, light and inexpensive to boot. Bought my 13 yr old an Axis in .223 with a less expensive 3-9x42mm scope and also hand load, great varmit rifle. I still shoot my old 71' Marlin 336/30-30 when we hunt, they put meat in the freezer and no problems with them. Our rifles actually "work" not just sit on a bench and look pretty for others to drool over. To each his own.....buy what YOU like.