Thread: 6.8 spc

Basic Member

6.8 spc

hi guys. quick question. I have a model 16 action. it was a 6.5 creedmoor. can I use this action to build me a 6.8 spc or would it be better to start with a 223 action?

thanks

Team Savage
    The 6.8 SPC should work with No Problem. All of my Savage actions are short actions. Get yourself a .223 bolt head, have it opened up to fit the 6.8 case, spin on a 6.8 SPC barrel and you're ready to go shooting!
    Mine was built mostly because there wasn't that much info about the 6.8 SPC on a bolt gun platform and I wanted to see how it would work. Sounded like a good enough reason to me? And remember, it's a Savage so it can be just about anything you want.
    I went with the SPC rather than the SPC II. Shorter throat so I could jam my bullets into the lands. And I went with the lighter bullets for starters and will go heavier as the throat wears. 90s and 100s will get me a 5 shot group, from the bench that I can cover with a dime or real close. A little holdover without any scope changes and I can hit steel out to 440 yards, 10 out of 10 times. SSA small primered brass and mild mid range loads and my brass lasts a long time. I went with single loading so no feeding issues. Should feed from a .223 mag as a single stack? HTH, Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    So if I get a single feed follower for my 6.5 creedmoor dbm I should not have any chambering issues? Who can open the bolt head?

Team Savage
    You probably want a 223 bolt baffle and probably use a 223 magazine.

We have a 6.8 mini and I have had 2 more 6.8 setups in Ar15 and its a great round.

FYI, if you roll you own there are some guys running a new cartridge over at arfcom, 7mm AR which is 223 length and 308 case size.

Basic Member
    Can you please give me some more info in that cartridge? I've never heard of it and can't find any thing on it. All I find is 7-08 stuff
    Thanks

Team Savage
    Try the 6.8 forum. LOTS of info there. Just punch in 6.8 SPC on the www and you'll be looking for days!
    My first experience was when I found a piece of fired brass at the range. 6.8 SPC? Never seen one before. Looked interesting. Bigger than the .223, not longer. More pep. Shorter than the .308, less recoil. I HAD to built it. Well worth the effort.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred94 View Post
    Can you please give me some more info in that cartridge? I've never heard of it and can't find any thing on it. All I find is 7-08 stuff
    Thanks
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...pc-ballistics/

We load mostly the 110 gr prohunter or 95 gr Barnes TTSX.
    Probably the hardest hitting round low recoil I have ever used.

brasse
    I have built two Savage 6.8 SPC II rifles this year, look for breastroker at http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...ht=breastroker.

I have some 6.8 info on this forum too.

One of them started as my model 16 Creedmoor, it will soon be a 6.7 pound 6.8 SPC II hunting rifle, with scope! The other started as a 223 blind magazine, it now wears a varmint profile barrel 6.8 from Black Hole Weaponry.

All you need is a barrel, the bolt head and a savage barrel nut wrench.

The 6.8 is extremely popular now, harder to get ammo than almost any other centerfire. But you can get it if you look.

There are a couple of people making the bolt head, PTG @ $49.99 and one guy at the 6.8 forum.

There are now several makers of 6.8 barrels, with more coming.

brasse
    Last edited by brasse; 01-02-2014 at 06:41 PM.