Thread: 6br feeding issues

Basic Member

6br feeding issues

I put together a 6br on a centerfeed short action and am having feeding issues. Has anybody else had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it? I really want to keep it as a repeater for coyote hunting.

Basic Member
    6mmBRs are a short stubby cartridge known for problematic feeding. It is why almost all 6mmBR guns are single shot. Savage did make the LRPV in 6mmBR with a mag, and that is discontinued. However, the mag is still available I believe. If you are not using that mag, and the mag fits your gun, I would try that. I can't tell you how it differs from any other mag. I did talk to Dan at DarkEagle Customs (mags) about using the 6mmBR in a mag fed arrangement and as I recall, he said he would be exploring this.

Apart from that, are you having problems with the round being picked up from the mag, jamming on the way into the chamber, or extraction? Extraction problems are no uncommon as the round will sometimes flip around 180 degrees and lay on top of the mag. The case shortness can permit this.

If you wish to keep as a repeater, and cannot get the 6BR to work, then the 6 x 47 Lapua will solve your problems, as it is derived from the 6.5x47 Lapua, which is very mag friendly. But, I too want a 6mmBR repeater and am working now to see if I can make that happen with a Howa action.

Phil

Team Savage
    Nothing worse than the mag lips gouging up the high cost 6BR Lapua or Norma brass, so I went single shot adaptor. No feeding issues!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    This is the reason I'm gonna build a 6XC over the br

Basic Member
    It jams when feeding. It kicks up and sometimes fall backwards in front of the other cartridges in the mag. If you cycle it slow it seems to not happen as much, but still happens often enough that it is frustrating.

Basic Member
    Seeing it, in slow motion, would be quite helpful, but that is beyond the ability of most of us. I have done quite a bit of research on 6mmBR feeding, and have learned a few things. One, use of 223 mags is not that uncommon. The reason is that the mag length is right, only requiring opening up the mag lips a bit so the fatter case sits high enough for the bolt to pick up.

Your experience may be similar to what I see with the Howa. I close the bolt, the case is picked up, begins to climb up, and then the back of the case escapes the mag, the mag follower kicking up, knocking the case up. The problem as I can see is that the front of the bullet is not far enough into the chamber to keep the round in place. I could be all wet on this. But, the 223 mag has much longer feed lips than the 308 mag, at least on the Howa. I can see how the 223 mag, with relieved lips, might stop this problem. Maybe.

This is a Howa using modified AICS 223 mags with a 6mmBR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZ6-X5i-vo

See this article on a Savage mag feeding the 6mmBR.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek036.html

This may offer other info. Consider staggered feed mag vs preferred center feed.
    http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post...age-sa-3624930

Phil

Basic Member
    Those were all great info! After reading the one on 6mmbr, I think one of problems may be that I am using a lighter bullet ( not as long ), I am using 87g V-Max's. But, I am going to try and modify my mag something like the Remington article.

Basic Member
    The longer bullet may help. You can experiment to see what is going on by making a fake round (no primer or powder), and loading a long bullet as long as will fit in say a 308 mag. If it feeds OK that way, then longer bullets may be all you need, or shorten up the mag. If using a mag for a case such as the 308 family, then there is plenty of back and forth room in the mag with the 6mmBR due to it being so much shorter. Just tap the mag to make sure all the bullet noses are at the front of the mag. This will happen on the first shot anyway due to recoil. See how it feeds with all rounds loaded that way. Just suggestions so you can see what is at the heart of the problem.

Good luck and let us know what you tried, how it worked, etc. I surely would like to know!

Phil