Thread: Ramshot Magnum

Ramshot Magnum

Has anyone used this in their 6.5-284 or 6.5-06? I only have half a pound of Retumbo left and can't seem to find any anywhere and I'm not interested in buying online and paying the haz mat fee. My LGS has about 12 pounds of magnum on the shelf currently. Just wondering how it has worked for you and if it will be worth the switch. I hate changing loads but I will if I can get it to perform similarly to my Retumbo. Thanks in advance.

I have used Ramshot hunter in my 6.5 284 but not Magnum which I got as a fall-back for my 300 win mag. There are lots of good alternatives but I'm not sure about magnum.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

I've used Magnum in my 7mm Rem Mag with good results, but I don't have a 6.5 284. I've also had very good results with RL 22, if you can find it.
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
    - Noah Webster

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I've used Magnum in my 7mm Rem Mag with good results, but I don't have a 6.5 284. I've also had very good results with RL 22, if you can find it.
    15 or 22 either one is good for 6.5 284.

I've never tried magnum. Have a pound on hand. I'll have to run out of rl19 for my 280 and 6.5-06 first.

Quote Originally Posted by 7stwluvr View Post
    I've never tried magnum. Have a pound on hand. I'll have to run out of rl19 for my 280 and 6.5-06 first.
    My impression is that magnum is a slow-burner for high capacity cases.

Well I picked up a pound to try out. I will let you guys know how it does once I can find time to hit the range.

Basic Member
    I use quite a bit of Magnum but in 300WM. It works very well and produces some impressive velocities in the 300. Magnum is a slow burner and works best on the heavier bullets. Since it is readily available, a friend and I are goint to start a workup on 270 with Magnum. I don't expect it to be the optimum but curious what kind of accuracy and velocity it can produce. Report back with your results if you get em before I do.

Basic Member
    Magnum works really well in .25-06 with 120 grain Hornady bullets.

Yeah since magnum and retumbo are right next to each other on the burn rate chart I have im hoping it works just as well or better.

Well for the record Ramshot Magnum works great. Took some doing to tune it but its shooting pretty good. Requires a full grain more than the Retumbo load for the same accuracy. Range conditions were not ideal today. Had a quartering wind with gusts up to 9mph which was just enough to make my box rock back and forth on the uneven ground. I attribute the flyer to box movement and I don't count that in my group size. This is five shots with 57.5gr of magnum and a Berger 140 VLD at 100 yards. I didn't chrony the load yet but I will get to that tomorrow hopefully.

Basic Member
    Not sure the data you are using but my Sierra book maxes for the 300WM with Magnum are (off the top of my head close guess) about 10
    grains shy of what Ramshot reloading guide gives max. I talked with a Sierra tech about that and they said they did limited testing with Magnum and for me to test away. I am near 6 grains over Sierra max with zero pressure indications before groups started to spread. Pushing 2950ish with 200gMK.
    Looks like you found a good sweet spot. Have you laddered above where you are now to see what it does? I see Ramshot shows 64g max with the 120's only. It has to perform better with the heavies I would think.

Yeah I shot 58.0 and 58.5 and they both shot under an inch but not nearly as good as the 57.5gr load. None of the loads tested showed signs of pressure. Tomorrow I hope to test out to 600 and get some chronograph data if this storm system blows thru.

JCalhoun
    I'm not at home so I don't my load data but Magnum is what I was running in the 6.5-284 when still had it. It worked pretty well with the 139gr Lapuas.

Well I finally made it back out to the range this morning. The rifle and load shot really well. I forgot my tripod for the Chrony but using a velocity of 2940 fps was matching my shooter program pretty close. Temp was 58 degrees and the wind was at 3mph to the left. Here is a pic of a steel gong placed at 760 Yards and a 3 shot group. I was holding dead center of the white paint. On target measures the group at 1.69" or just over .2 moa for that distance. I can live with that. The two splash marks at the edge of the white were there before I shot just never seen them until I went down range to look at my group. So for those of you that cant find Retumbo or H1000 it seems as though Ramshot Magnum makes viable alternative.

Load Data:
    140 Berger VLD Hunting
    57.5gr Ramshot Magnum
    C.B.T.O. = 2.495" Which is .025" from the lands in my rifle
    26" CBI Varmint contour barrel 1:8 twist
    Norma Brass
    CCI LR #200 primers

This load is safe in my rifle and not showing pressure signs but as always start low and work up.

Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    I'm not at home so I don't my load data but Magnum is what I was running in the 6.5-284 when still had it. It worked pretty well with the 139gr Lapuas.
    If you get a chance, pm me that data please.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways