Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 22 mag ammo anywhere ????

Westcliffe01

No 22 mag ammo anywhere ????

I was fortunate to order some CCI 30gr ammo last November a couple of days prior to Sandy Hook. In the intervening period, I have been unable to find any 22 mag ammo. Meanwhile I have a new to me Sav model 93, which I hoped would improve accuracy compared to my CZ 512 (also in 22 mag). The CZ is a semi auto and I figured that perhaps the less than stellar accuracy that I got from it was due to it being a blow back semi auto design without the benefit of a properly free floated barrel (it has a 2 piece shotgun style stock).

So far my escapade with the Savage 93 has been a very frustrating one because so far it is a pretty lousy shooting gun. I have bedded the action (although honestly it really needs a re-designed stock) and it is still about a 2MOA weapon. I think a re-crown might be next since the bore has a chamfer that looks like it might be the remnants of a 60 degree centre drill from the profiling operation of the blank. The crown does not terminate at the bore.

Since I only have the 30gr CCI ammo, I can't tell to what degree ammo is a contributing factor. I just backordered some CCI game point 40gr ammo and Winchester Super X 40gr hollow point ammo at Midway, but who knows when that will be in ? The CCI is shown as being overdue so maybe it won't be too long ????

This order follows several LGS visits today to see if there was anything in the store and the common answer was zip.

I have managed to score some good 22lr match ammo in face to face private deals, but even that tactic is not working for 22 mag.

Everyone else in a similar boat ?

Basic Member
    Westcliffe01 Same here in Oregon, kinda comes and goes. Lots of 17 hmr, pistol and rifle ammo is restocking some, but 22 and 22mag are pretty rare and when it does show up, it's gone in a day usually. Seems to be a lot of hoarding going on. Gun shows, it goes for around 45.00 but they don't seem to sell much. I hope not anyway. Good luck on your end. Happy New Year

Basic Member
    Cabelas might still have some online.....13.99

It's out there, it's just hard as heck to find and you aren't going to find it in a big-box or chain store as they typically don't put limits on purchase quantity. I picked up 400 rounds of CCI and Winchester Christmas Eve day at my favorite dealer in the state while on my way to the family GTG. They had a 4 box limit per customer so I made my sister get me 4 as well. Had cases and cases of it stacked there so I didn't feel too bad about it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

fartsinpublic
    Saw some CCI 30gr & 40gr in various flavors and bullet types at my LGS here in Hawaii

You'll just have to come get it in person... LOL

Basic Member
    Aw, that's just stinky fartsinpublic. Don't tell my wife or I'll have to spend all my money on the trip and then no money for guns and ammo.

fartsinpublic
    Fly on Alaskan Airlines, their "ammo in checked luggage" policy allows up to 50lbs./passenger, Hawaiian Airlines and other carriers only allow 11lbs./per passenger, for some unknown logic reason.

Alaskan must understand that to limit 338 Lapua shooters to 11lbs of ammo means they can only bring 4 rounds with them. :)

maximo
    Cabelas has it.

Frank

Basic Member
    Well,
    Go to your favorite web site suppliers, Cabelas, Midway ect, then make a wish list and then have them notify you when product is available for purchase.
    But be aware, I have been notified at least 4 times for some .17 wsm ammo, and it was sold out before I ordered it, less then 7 minutes one time, also same with the 22 mag and 22 LR, however I did finally get some 22 mag from Gander Mountain.
    GOOD LUCK
    You will need it getting ammo
    PS, My Fioccia 223 ammo from Midway is 1 year and 20 days past due, STILL on back order, and the newest date they give me is this March.
    That after they told me at least 6 times it would be in sooner.
    It is so sad that I just laugh anymore when they give me the new dates?
    GOOD LUCK
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

ShawneeB
    West. It's out there, spotty but there. I managed to snag one box after 6 mo looking.

Hawaii? Be right there, I want 2 boxes Man, I had an uncle used to ease out SBD's in meat isles of supermarkets. Hold a straight face too.

Problem with most of the online places (BPS and Cabela's for sure) is that they have imposed a 1-box limit. Not worth ordering and paying the $14 shipping for a single $13 box of ammo.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Westcliffe01
    Either Cabelas or GM are 1 hour drive, 1 way. So too expensive for a 1 box limit also and there is no guarantee there will be anything when one gets there...

For now will wait and see what happens with Midway. The stuff I backordered they were accepting back orders on, which is not the case for primers, powder and 2/3 of the other ammo... When it does come in, I should be set for a little while. I would hate to think we will perpetually stay in this "crisis mode" on ammo supply. Its gone on for quite a while now.

Basic Member
    Call Cabelas or GM and ask them what their on-hand inventory is, and what the store policy on quantity buys is. You may also be able to pay, by credit card, a few boxes of ammo for "in store pick up." The policies will vary from store to store, so don't miss out by not calling and asking!

Basic Member
    I goy 4 boxes of CCI Maxi Mag +five at Cabela's.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

wlleven
    I got one brick of .22 after getting to Walmart at 5.45am, waiting till they opened at 6am and than "Running", yes "Running" to the ammo section. After waiting till 7;30 the salsman said there was no .22, So I sped off to the next walmart and found one box !

Did not see any .22 mag in a long while !

This is crazy !

wll

danjurista
    I got a couple of boxes of cci 40 grain hp 22 mag at a Wal-Mart in Wilkes-Barre pa yesterday! that's the first 22 mag I've seen in a long time. It was't cheap about 14.50 for a box of 50, I can shoot my 17wsm for the same price. And I find 17wsm a lot eaiser to find!

Westcliffe01
    I don't believe the number of weapons that take 22 mag explains the shortage. More likely that the makers are focussed on producing 22LR and all the other components (CCI primers) than on making 22mag ammo. There has been none at the LGS, nor at the local Meijer. For the moment, I will wait on the ship to come in from Midway...

Basic Member
    Its in stock at Cebela's right now

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22wmr/

Westcliffe01
    I don't need more 30gr ammo and at $0.38-$0.44/round surplus ammo can keep theirs....

wlleven
    Well this was my 8th straight day going to two different Walmarts. One I'm there at 6am and wait till 7am for the ammo department to open up. The other I get to at about 7:20am and usually I'm still the first in line.....and for my efforts !!!!!!!! Today I got 3 boxes of CCI Stingers in the 50 pack, not what I was looking for, but got it for hunting if I need it.

This 22 ammo thing is a real pain.

wll

Basic Member
    I've been using gunbot as well as ammoseek..two web search engines to order from the comfy chair...

I have not found any CCI or cheaper ammo in stock, however I have recently purchased thousands of rounds in the 10-15 cent range of the "better" rounds...Eley, Norma, Aguila, Wolf, etc.

Only way it makes any monetary sense is to buy a couple bricks at a time because of shipping.

Oh..22mag is what your looking for...nevermind
    Last edited by airfoil; 01-29-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Crockett
    My local gun store has 3 different flavors of 22mag with many boxes on the shelf 16.99, 16.99 and 17.99. I guess that's going to be the new normal in that ammo's price retail.

Basic Member
    I was at the BassPro Shop store in San Antonio this morning, promptly at 9:00am. They opened the doors, the crowd poured in, and when I got to the "rim fire" section of their ammo sales area, at 9:07, it was all gone! The young man doing the stocking of the shelves told me that it was like this every morning. So, at least in the metropolitan San Antonio area, folks are still buying up every rim fire cartridge they can lay their hands on.

Downunderimfire
    Quote Originally Posted by danjurista View Post
    I got a couple of boxes of cci 40 grain hp 22 mag at a Wal-Mart in Wilkes-Barre pa yesterday! that's the first 22 mag I've seen in a long time. It was't cheap about 14.50 for a box of 50, I can shoot my 17wsm for the same price. And I find 17wsm a lot eaiser to find!
    $14.50 per box IS cheap, WAY cheap (at least for me it would be). Where i come from CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr HP are $26.95 per 50rnd box (= $21.60USD). If you buy a brick you pay $235 (= $191.70USD). I find it kind of funny that prices that you all find are expensive, I would love to pay.

:)
    Last edited by Downunderimfire; 02-08-2014 at 02:04 AM.

maxl
    I haven't shot my 22lr since this all started,but i've shot the heck out of my 17hmr seems to be plenty of ammo around for it.If you need an excuse to buy another rimfire this is it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast