Thread: Savage 16 .308 Factory Load Recommendations

Savage 16 .308 Factory Load Recommendations

Hey all, I'm new here and to shooting rifles. I recently just picked up a brand new savage 16 weather warrior in .308 with a Leupold vx-II 3-9x40mm scope. I was looking at some ammo at bass pro, walmart, and online and would love so input on what you guys recommend on shooting out of my new rifle. Would really like to save some money and not have to buy a ton of different types, so any help is appreciated..

thanks all and I will post up results after I get out to the range and get it zero'd in.

Team Savage
    Are you intending on spending hours at the range punching paper and smacking steel plates, or will this be a serious hunting rifle? Will you be feeding it hand loads, or factory ammo?

Federal Gold medal match in 168gr
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by 390fe View Post
    Are you intending on spending hours at the range punching paper and smacking steel plates, or will this be a serious hunting rifle? Will you be feeding it hand loads, or factory ammo?
    It will most likely be a hybrid between the two, it's soul purpose will be a hunting rifle but I will most definitely use it at the range as well. As far as loads, at the moment it will be factory as I do not have the means to do hand loads.

I contacted savage and they recommended I use Federal 168 grain Sierra Match King BTHP.

Stewy
    I use Silver State Armory 168 grain BTHP. My 10 BA .308 is a tack driver with these rounds. My best grouping with these "factory" loads is .576 (caliper measured) with an average grouping just over 1" at 200 yards. These results were achieved at bench rest with bipods down.

Mike220
    168 good, might also try 175 gold medal match. The 175 match kings have always done better for me. Save your brass. Fire formed to your chamber. IF you ever get Into reloading neck It only with a lee collet die and try some 185 berger hybrids. If done right yout hanf loads will be better thsan anything you can buy at any price

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Federal Gold medal match in 168gr
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For a factory hunting load the Federal 165gr Deer Thug with the bonded bullet works very well and has a very close point of impact to the Gold medal match in my rifles. It's also been plenty accurate for me.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.