Thread: 338 edge

Basic Member

338 edge

If I were to build a 338 edge how would I go about getting brass. I've seen posts about the cartridge itself and builds but where is the brass coming from.

Basic Member

Re: 338 edge

I think I just answered my own question I would just have to open up some 300 RUM brass right? I'm an amature reloader how would I do this?

Yes, 300RUM is the most common used brass.

For expanding the neck, I use a 338RUM full length die. I have it set up so that it will run the expander through the neck, deprime, and only size the neck.

Then I use the 338RUM seater for seating the bullets.

If I need to FL size the brass, I use a 375RUM FL die with the expander removed as a body die.

It's about as easy as it gets for wildcats, but a little involved for new reloaders.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

pd721el

Geargrinder has it right on, my only advise would be to buy the tampered expander if you are using Redding dies. This makes all the difference in the world, as you will ruin many pieces of brass trying to use the std Redding expander. If you have Hornady Dies you should be ok. I also have a 338 Neck expander for my neck turning tool and this works well also, but is an extra step doing it this way. Eric

hailstone

Having done this with other 30 caliber cartridges necked up my suggestion is doing it in several steps. I would do an intermediary step at .323 (8mm) then your final step. Not as hard on the brass, less neck splits and easier on your equipment.

I use the plane old RCBS expander and a liberal amount of Imperial Sizing Wax. Works pretty well. The only problem I've run into is a bulge at the case wall shoulder junction. I quick trip through the gutted 375RUM die fixes that too.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

i use a k&m expander. it works great. russ

well I use C4d custom dies including a neck sizing bushing David does great dies in any cal. check him out !!!!

if you get a hold of shawn carlock at defensive edge he has custom bertam brass in 338 edge