Thread: hunting dogs anyone?

Basic Member

hunting dogs anyone?

I thought it might be fun to see what dogs (if any) everyone is running for small edible game. Although I have run my dogs on some small non-edible game before too!

Around here (western WA) rabbits and grouse, make up most of the small game hunting except for upland and waterfowl. Of course there are all of the other fun critters like possum, coons and porcupines too!

I picked up a new dog back in September and I hope to have her ready to run by next fall. This is Pepper, my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.

The goal is to have her run as an all round dog for everything with fur and feathers. She's off to a pretty good start.

So, lets see what everyone else is running!

Andrew

ShawneeB
    That's a beauty, just gorgeous!

I had a nice Springer when I lived in western WA. (Belfair, Tahuya, Brem.) Presently I have little companion dogs, Chinese Hairless Cresteds but love em to death like ALL dogs. And GF's little Chi/pom. My one Crested doesn't know he's a show quality dog and loves to chase squirrels, well he'll chase anything.

Never have enough dogs,,, I am heavily leaning towards a rabbit dog, beagle, but they sure like to roam and a well trained rabbit dog gets picked up. Squirrel dog would be good and Blue Heelers are great squirrel dogs. Had one of those I had gotten in WA, moved to Maine with her and she was a squirrels worst nightmare, miss her still.

Basic Member
    Stangfish, that picture is great. Such a noble, distinguished pose. And a little Alfred Hitchcock-ish! I came really close to getting a lab, but I just wanted something a little different.

ShawneeB, we tried the smaller companion dogs and they just weren't very good with the kids. To be fair, the cocker spaniel and pom were rescue dogs from questionable homes. I almost got a beagle but like you said, they love to roam! And as much as I love the beagle howl, the wife wasn't going for it!

Andrew

ShawneeB
    Yorke. Yea, they aren't children dogs! The littlest is the worst. None will bite but like face to face with anything as small as they are

My heeler didn't really care for the little ones. Actually she didn't really care for anyone but me but would tolerate a few others and sometimes a stranger she just liked. She chewed rocks as a pup so had flat teeth and was harmless.

Too bad about the beagles, I'd be heartbroken losing one though. Love hearing them work the woods with a rabbit running for all it's got.

Basic Member
    Had to put my old beagle down after 14 years of great rabbit hunting, Can't bring myself to getting another one.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

ShawneeB
    I never get over a dog, it lessens though. I say I'll never get another, but somehow it just happens.

Basic Member
    I never had a dog that I really bonded with and I used to think it was strange to hear others talk about it. Now I get it. I've only had this one for a few months and I'm already worried about what I'll do when she's gone. I'd love to get a second Griffon but I just don't think that I'll get this lucky again.

Now I just hope that she's at least a decent hunter!

Andrew

Basic Member
    I had to bury my police k9 2 years ago, he retired with me, It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The problem with dogs is we out live them!!!
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Here is my 1 1/2 year old British Ivory Lab "Zeus". He is my second lab, first one "Indy" a Chocholate lab past away july of '09, most tears ive ever shed. But Zeus has certainly done a good job of filling that void. He is absolutely fantastic with my 3 small kids and is really coming around hunting.

His favorite spot

And a pic of him retrieving his first duck this fall.

Basic Member
    He looks pretty comfortable there! I don't see very many labs that color. I like it!

Andrew

Not the best picture, but my and my buddies German Shorthairs at work.

12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

Basic Member
    I love German short hairs, but they're a bit too energetic for me. I just can't keep up with them. They are hunting machines though! I've seen some that could turn it down a bit when they were in the house. The rest were just running full speed as long as they were awake.

Andrew

Team Savage
    good looking dog